You made a mistake at work. Now what?

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0Share on Google+0Share on TumblrDigg thisShare on StumbleUpon0Print this page

How do you handle it when you’ve botched something? First, you need to know what happens in your manager’s head when you make a mistake. Beyond thinking about the repercussions of the mistake itself, she’s worrying about what it means for the larger picture: Did the mistake happen because of sloppy work habits or was this one isolated incident? Is there a fundamental problem with your systems or approach to the work? Do you “get” that this is a big deal, or are you shrugging it off and thus likely to let something similar happen in the future?

Once you understand this, the formula for handling a mistake well becomes more intuitive.

And if you want to read that formula, check out the full post, which is posted at U.S. News and World Report.

1. Andres V Acosta

Mud on my face … I am completely embarassed by my premature overreaction. My apologies.