6 reasons you failed the phone interview

by Ask a Manager on September 2, 2008

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter0Share on LinkedIn0Share on Google+0Share on TumblrDigg thisShare on StumbleUpon0Print this page

Made it to the phone interview stage? Over at U.S. News & World Report today, I talk about six things not to do. Check it out, and as always, please leave your own thoughts in the comments over there!

{ 3 comments }

Troy Bettinger, SPHR September 6, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Alison,

You make some great points. Here is one more to consider:

7. Using a Cheesy Cell Phone. Nothing enhances your interview image like a partial connection that hisses, pops and drops every third syllable. Instead of this, double-check your coverage, and plan to use a land-line where ever possible. Oh – and just because you can do a phone interview while walking down a busy urban street doesn’t mean you should. The honking and traffic noises will interfere with your interview.

Keep up the good work!

Troy

Just Had A Phone Interview August 11, 2012 at 1:21 am

Hi @AskAManger, thank you so much for responding so quickly. I know I am going to sound like one of the crazies that you interview … eeek maybe I am (I would like to think of it as overly ambitious?) … is it possible for you to have a mock phone interview with me? This is asking a lot- but I try to seek out great resources- your blog has been nothing but great advice for me.
Very grateful!

Ask a Manager August 11, 2012 at 1:23 am

I don’t do that, but you could check out my “how to get a job” book if you haven’t already:
http://www.askamanager.org/how-to-get-job-e-book

Previous post:

Next post: