when a social contact invites you to send a resume

by Ask a Manager on February 21, 2011

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter3Share on LinkedIn2Share on Google+0Share on TumblrDigg thisShare on StumbleUpon0Print this page

You’re talking to someone at a party, or a friend of a friend, or the guy who just moved in down the street. You mention what you do, and the next thing you know, the person says, “Oh, I might have something that would be perfect for you. Send me your resume.”

What exactly do you send? A formal application with traditional cover letter? Something less formal? Over at U.S. News & World Report today, I walk you through exactly how to follow up in this situation. Check it out here.

P.S. While I have you, there’s an excellent column from the Evil HR Lady, Suzanne Lucas, on why you shouldn’t quit without notice right here.

{ 1 comment }

Nate February 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm

I’ve gotten some pretty quality leads this way. Worst casing it, you have a great contact for expanding out your job search.

{ 2 trackbacks }

Previous post:

Next post: