when a social contact invites you to send a resume

Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on Twitter3Share on LinkedIn2Share on Google+0Share on TumblrDigg thisShare on StumbleUpon0Print this page

You’re talking to someone at a party, or a friend of a friend, or the guy who just moved in down the street. You mention what you do, and the next thing you know, the person says, “Oh, I might have something that would be perfect for you. Send me your resume.”

What exactly do you send? A formal application with traditional cover letter? Something less formal? Over at U.S. News & World Report today, I walk you through exactly how to follow up in this situation. Check it out here.

P.S. While I have you, there’s an excellent column from the Evil HR Lady, Suzanne Lucas, on why you shouldn’t quit without notice right here.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention when a social contact invites you to send a resume — Ask a Manager -- Topsy.com

2. Nate

I’ve gotten some pretty quality leads this way. Worst casing it, you have a great contact for expanding out your job search.

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention When a social contact invites you to send a resume // Great read by -- Topsy.com