April 2011

things that will mark you as a douchebag for life

Check out this ridiculously arrogant email from a college student to his former boss at the pool where he previously worked. Resentful at only being offered a lifeguard position this summer rather than an assistant manager position, he let loose with a tirade of insults and announced that he has been working in a Very […]

Read the full article →

help! my workload is too high and I’m burning out

So you didn’t find that last post too interesting, apparently, and left me lonely and bereft of comments. Let’s see if you like this one any better. A reader writes: I work for a non-profit that is a bit understaffed, but the biggest problem is that the staff, as a whole, is under qualified. The […]

Read the full article →

interviewer had concerns about me from the start

A reader writes: I’m currently a lawyer with several years of general legal experience and I’m trying to transition to a more specific area where I don’t have too much experience. I recently had an interview with a reputable recruitment agency, which went very well, and which got me the second interview with the hiring […]

Read the full article →

dealing with annoying coworkers

I’m quoted in this Fox Business News article on how to handle various types of annoying coworkers. I talk about dealing with know-it-alls and non-stop talkers. (This interview occurred before I learned about coworkers who leave their nail clippings on your desk.)

Read the full article →

10 things your boss isn’t telling you

Last week’s post about the manager struggling with how to tell his assistant that her shirts were too low-cut provided the inspiration for my post today at U.S. News & World Report … which is about 10 things your boss might be thinking but isn’t telling you. To be clear, a good boss will have […]

Read the full article →

short answer Sunday: 7 short answers to 7 short questions

It’s once again time for short answer Sunday — seven short answers to seven short questions — this one an exciting mix of affairs with coworkers, weight-snarking managers, and more. Here we go… Can I be fired for outing my coworker’s affair to her husband? I dated a co-worker for ten years. Unbeknownst to me, […]

Read the full article →

the state of Florida thinks unemployed people need capes

Florida, what’s wrong with you? Workforce Central Florida, a federally-funded jobs agency, was just forced to kill an insulting $73,000 PR campaign that included $14,000 for 6,000 superhero capes, which they planned to give away to unemployed residents. By friending the agency on Facebook, taking a “What kind of Superhero Are You?” quiz, or posing […]

Read the full article →