July 2011

I gave a good reference for my moody assistant — is it now biting me in the ass?

July 31, 2011

It’s been reference week over here. Let’s add one more. A reader writes: My former assistant called to tell me she had put me down as a reference. We had a rocky relationship (she was moody) at our previous company (which went bankrupt) but she was always competent, efficient and thorough, so I had to put […]

Read the full article →

kitchen … and kittens

July 31, 2011

Several important updates that have nothing to do with career or management advice: 1.My kitchen is starting to look like a kitchen again!  A photo from Friday (day 5) is here. The counters go in Wednesday, and then I will have my sink back and can stop living on take-out. I cannot wait. 2. As […]

Read the full article →

what employers can and can’t say when giving references

July 29, 2011

The awesome Donna Ballman, who just happens to be an employment attorney, has a post up today about what employers can and can’t say about you when giving references … in a response to a question from a reader here, no less. You can read it here.

Read the full article →

I’m scared my bullying ex-boss will give me a bad reference

July 28, 2011

First, here’s my kitchen, day four. It’s feeling very … white. Maybe too white. I’m freaking out a little. In any case … A reader writes: I am looking for a job right now. I left my last job for a number of reasons. I was burned out, and recovering from some health issues. I was […]

Read the full article →

wee answer Wednesday: 6 short answers to 6 short questions

July 27, 2011

We skipped short answer Saturday this week, so let’s have wee answer Wednesday. And also, here’s a photo of day three of my kitchen renovation; please take a moment to appreciate your sink and stove. Correcting someone who got your gender wrong What is the most clear and polite way to correct someone who has […]

Read the full article →

should I tell my boss about my bipolar disorder? should my spouse?

July 27, 2011

A reader writes: How can I explain to my boss how my bipolar illness sometimes affects my ability to get going in the morning? Up until now, I have kept my bipolar quiet, but after several instances of not making it to work till noon and being too ashamed to call, my supervisor is now […]

Read the full article →

can I ask about salary range before accepting an interview?

July 25, 2011

A reader writes: I have held the same position since graduation. I did not have to interview for this position because I came in as a temp through a friend’s mother who was a manager in our department. I am looking to move on. However, I am only interested in leaving if I am getting more […]

Read the full article →

because I refuse to go through this alone…

July 25, 2011

I’m renovating my kitchen, and today was day one. No sink for 10 days — and thus no cooking, and many gross pre-packaged sandwiches from the grocery store. And since I work from home, there’s no escaping my non-kitchen. Now is the time for you to pay me back for all this career advice with […]

Read the full article →

ask the readers: when Satan’s intern comes to stay

July 24, 2011

Periodically, I like to throw out a question to readers to answer. Here’s one for you to tackle — and the story is long and juicy. Have at it in the comments… I work in a field that’s big on mentoring — at one point or another, everyone in my field had to intern. In […]

Read the full article →

manager struggling with staff leaving early

July 23, 2011

A reader writes: I’m a relatively new manager (4 months). I am coming from the position of teammate to most of the staff I manage, but they all seem to have adjusted well to my new role and respected my move from peer to manager.  I seem, however, to be having an issue with one […]

Read the full article →