I’m sick with a cold and cranky, so I hereby present to you nine things that annoy the crap out of me:
1. When you email someone a question and they don’t know the answer so they decide to wait until they do know before getting back to you, even if it takes days, instead of just saying, “I’m not sure yet, but I’ll let you know when I know.” My condo association is doing this to me right now. Employers do it to job-seekers all the time.
2. When someone tweets me a question that has a longer or more nuanced answer than can be given in 140 characters, and when surely they should have anticipated this but for some reason decided to tweet rather than email.
3. The word “tweet.” It embarrasses me to use it.
4. Tyra Banks.
5. Job candidates who, not having heard back yet in response to the resume they submitted three days again, follow up to say that they feel their background “warrants” an interview. (People who do this: Do you intend for it to sound demanding? Or do you not realize how it’s coming across?)
6. When a book infuriates you but you can’t stop reading it. Most recently this happened to me with The Magicians, which was so derivative of Harry Potter and Narnia that I threw it across the room at one point (when talking animals started called the main characters “sons and daughters of Earth” and told them about the four thrones that awaited them). And then for some reason I kept reading.
7. People who hover in your office doorway while you’re on a phone call. I am on the phone.
8. Blogs with comment moderation turned on.
9. Cleaning the shower. Someone should invent a self-cleaning shower, like a self-cleaning oven.
See, I told you. Cranky.