how can I be a great reference for a former coworker?

by Ask a Manager on March 19, 2013

Share on Facebook1Tweet about this on Twitter6Share on LinkedIn0Share on Google+0Share on TumblrDigg thisShare on StumbleUpon0Print this page

A reader writes:

A former coworker reached out to me via LinkedIn recently to ask if I’d be willing to serve as a reference for him during his job search. He is leaving the company where I used to work in a role that was semi-managerial. He was a great coworker and valuable member of our team, so I agreed, but I’m not sure what I need to do to be prepared to give him the reference he deserves.

I’ve never been asked to serve as a reference before, so I honestly don’t know what I just agreed to and what the most professional way to approach this is. Most of the advice I’ve seen is regarding people for whom you don’t feel comfortable giving a good reference. Any tips you could provide on what to be sure to mention or avoid and how to stay within the boundaries of professional (rather than personal) comments would be great.

You can read my answer to this question at the The Fast Track blog by Intuit QuickBase today.

Jamie March 19, 2013 at 11:05 am

The link isn’t working for me. I tried Firefox, IE, Chrome, and Safari.

(Habit from maintaining a web page – check all browsers)

Ask a Manager March 19, 2013 at 11:08 am

Fixed!

Runon March 19, 2013 at 11:45 am

Glad to hear notes are ok. I generally try to keep them where I can get at them quick (like in the contact notes field in my email) but I like to have them in front of me when I’m talking about someone. They are usually just a few bullets with shiny words.

* takes direction and follows procedure very meticulously
* showed initiative and researched new opportunities

Are these good kinds of things to say about people (very different people)?

fposte March 19, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I think how good they are depends on what they were expected to do and how enthusiastically you make a case for the contribution. I could see those, especially the first, as damning with faint praise, too (“How was he as your Marketing Director?” “Well, he followed procedure very meticulously”). If I thought the person in your first example was a really good employee, I’d talk about it in terms of reliability and the diminished need to supervise as a result (“If you give a task to Wakeen, it’s guaranteed–he’ll check with you to make sure he understands and then it’ll be done to perfection without your ever needing to follow up”).

But I also think that it needs to fit in your own voice and the situation.

Runon March 19, 2013 at 12:53 pm

These were both for people in first jobs. The first one I don’t want to damn with faint praise, she was great, she was just a horrible employee for me and I was a horrible boss for her. Give her a detail procedure and she followed perfectly no worry about her going off and trying her own thing because she thought it would be easier or faster. But very little of our work was like that and it made it difficult. She had since worked somewhere she thrived because it was all about following those steps. It was just a really bad environment match.

fposte March 19, 2013 at 1:10 pm

I think that you pretty much have it covered–here’s her strength, and it’s actually not something we make a lot of use here, so she’d be a great fit in a job that did.

Ask a Manager March 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm

In addition to fposte’s point, I would also say to be more specific. These are really generalities — you can start there, but then you want to add concrete examples to illustrate them.

fposte March 19, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Sub-question–I was recently asked in what area the candidate could improve. This seems a bit like the reference’s “What are your weaknesses?”, and I gave a lame-ish answer about a not-too-significant area where she was absolutely at the level I would have expected (she was otherwise well above that level), and I’m not crazy about that. Does a reference have more room for pushback on that kind of question than a candidate, or does that just look like I’m too uncritical a reference?

Ask a Manager March 19, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Absolutely, it’s totally fine for a reference to say, “Honestly, she was amazing. There was nothing I needed her to do differently.”

If the reference is overall really enthusiastic about the person aside from that answer, that answer is going to ring true. If, on the other hand, the reference is providing a sort of low-key, lukewarm assessment and then says that, it’s going to sound like they’re just not being thoughtful enough about it, or that they don’t want to expend the effort to give good answers.

fposte March 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Great, thanks. I think I was clear enough overall that she’s fabulous and it was clear that it took me a while to think of anything even to mention, so I don’t think it will hurt her, but I suspect this won’t be the last time I encounter the question.