8 ways to persuade your boss to say yes

featured-on-usnWhen you really want to hear “yes” from your boss – whether it’s a proposal for a new program, permission to telecommute, or the go-ahead on ordering a new computer – you can maximize your chances by going about it the right way.

Over at U.S. News & World Report today, I talk about how to get your boss to say yes, including showing you’ve thought about pros and cons, asking for an experiment instead of a lifetime commitment, and more. You can read it here.

1. Arbynka

I would say number 6 is important. Looking at it from manager’s prospective and seeing the bigger picture. I once had a co-worker who took every “no” as a personal rejection. Manager was not rejection his proposal, manager was rejecting him. He pretty much self-destructed in that office because of it.

1. Elizabeth West

Yes, I agree. I think the attitude makes a huge difference. It’s unlikely this person’s manager would want to say yes to anything if he took everything personally.

1. Arbynka

And after a while every interaction became tricky because it always came back to him. It created quite a bit of tension.

2. tcookson

It also helps to keep a good relationship, in general, with your manager. Taking everything personally is not helping with that.

2. Rachel

I once had a coworker come up to me and ask “why do you always get everything you want at work?” It was true. Every time I needed a day off, or a supply purchase, or a just a general accommodation, it was granted. In contrast, every time he needed the day off it was a major fight. I told him the reason was basically this list. When I needed a day off, I came to my manager with all of the backup people already in place. When I needed a supply, I presented the business case along with various options. He simply asked for a day off or said he needed something without doing the things on this list that made it easy for a manager to say yes.

The only other thing I would add is that when you develop a reputation for being a careful planner or a great worker, it becomes almost reflexive for the boss to say yes to your request. On the other hand when you have a reputation of your projects doing poorly when you’re out of the office, it becomes almost reflexive for your boss to say no.