how to build better relationships with other departments

Ever seen those people who seem to know and work well with everyone in your company, and as a result get things done faster and better? You can become one of those people too, if you put some effort into building relationships with other teams.

Doing that isn’t just about building personal relationships – although that certainly helps – but about paying attention to the way you work with other departments and the signals you send when you need their assistance. At Intuit QuickBase’s Fast Track blog today, I talk about how to do that. You can read it here.

1. Ad Astra

Really digging that stock art. It says “Hey, I just finished taking a family portrait in my jeans and white button-up, so now it’s time to get some work done at the beach. Towels are for suckers.”

1. Josh S

The photos at QuickBase are picked by someone-who-isn’t-Alison. So it’s kind of pointless to critique that.

Actually, even if they had been picked by Alison, it’d still be kind of pointless to critique. :/

1. Ad Astra

Oh yeah, I was just laughing at the general silliness of stock photos. I don’t think it detracts from the content or anything.

1. AlexF

I was going for “don’t be an island,” but I agree the picture looks more like “don’t take your work with you on vacation,” vs. “deserted island/castaway.” :) Some days I have more brain cells left over than others.

I still get a kick out of these three I chose a while back. I try to go for something funny, or subtle (“oh, he was referring to bullet point 3 with this photo, haha), or as relevant as possible. You never know the mood I’m in that day.

http://quickbase.intuit.com/blog/2013/09/10/readers-top-10-most-awkward-moments-at-work/

http://quickbase.intuit.com/blog/2013/02/12/10-most-cringe-worthy-career-mistakes/

http://quickbase.intuit.com/blog/2013/08/06/interviewers-behaving-badly-worlds-8-worst-job-interviewers/

Happy reading,
          Alex
          Editor-in-Chief
          The Fast Track

2. Amber Rose

Who doesn’t like pockets and underwear full of sand? I know I work best when it feels like my butt is being bitten by fire ants.

2. AMT

“This is my relationship-building outfit. Shoes create barriers. I don’t believe in barriers.”

3. Kyrielle

Being responsive – even if the work can’t happen then – can go a long way for this. So can the little wins where you can do something quick and easy for them, and turn it around faster than you had to. Just make sure the little wins don’t come at the cost of the big priorities, but often, I’ve seen a 5-minute task of high importance to department X get sat on for a week or more by department Y because other things are higher priority for Y. Yes, yes they are, but if it only takes 5 minutes and that 5 minutes doesn’t jeopardize priorities (because all it takes is a dozen 5-minute tasks to eat an hour, of course)…do it! If it’s going to take you just as long to put them off (email, fielding the phone call to make sure you understand they need it, etc.)…just get it done.

4. jmkenrick

I love #2 and #5. What I need, first and foremost, is an answer for my boss. When things aren’t happening, it’s so frustrating to say that I’m in the dark and just waiting to see why we haven’t received X deliverable before we can move on.

If I can just say: “oh, unfortunately X was delayed because the director needed Y on short notice,” that makes everything so much better.

Without a timeline and updates, I just feel like I’ve thrown a step out in the netherworld and, since ultimately I’m responsible for it, I’m going to drive you crazy with my (polite!) nagging.

1. OfficePrincess

Exactly. If you have to build a diamond-encrusted tea set for the CEO to present to the King of Tealand, obviously that can come first. But I’m not going to just forget I asked you for specs for the new handle design. So if you don’t tell me what’s going, I’m going to think you’re ignoring me and keep bugging you and neither of us will be happy.

5. Sabrina

I’d also add, don’t imply that they aren’t doing their job right. Fast track to the bottom of the pile for that and every future request you send.

6. Mints

I think related to #4, is proper thanks AFTER the special request too. I would get this with certain Sales people (who are all the bad Sales sterotypes) who would really pile on the “This request is for a customer who is best friends with the CEO” and then after I got it done would just dissappear. It made me want to make sure I sent a follow up note when people did special things for me (nothing elaborate or gushing, just like “Thanks again for all your help on this one! I know this guy was a pain!”)