what niche job boards do you use to find job openings?

A couple of weeks ago, I published a question from someone asking what niche job boards are. My answer:

They’re really just industry-specific job boards. If you have a professional association for your field (e.g., the Public Relations Society of America if you’re in PR, the National Society of Professional Engineers if you’re an engineer, and so forth), they likely have a job board. If you’re not sure, search for the name of your field plus “professional association” and see what comes up. You can also try searching for the name of your field plus “jobs” and see what you find – skip past all the listings for Indeed and Monster that will come up and look at what else is there. (And actually searching for your field plus “job board” rather than “job” seems to get better results for the handful I tried.)

In response to that post, a bunch of people asked for a stand-alone post asking people what niche job boards they use in their fields, since presumably people don’t know about everything that’s out there.

So: What niche job boards do you know and recommend?

1. University HR

Yup! As someone who works at a University, we generally post positions on HigherEd and Idealist.

1. HigherEdPerson

Oh, and all your professional org websites (TPE, NASPA, ACPA, AFA, etc).

Man, we sure love our acronyms in this field. Shout-out to all my student affairs friends. WE ARE ALMOST DONE. HANG IN THERE.

2. Anxa

Same sometimes, only I always check for department pages. For the FTE or PT w/B classes, usually that seems like enough.

But even the individual schools may not be posting all of their positions. If only they didn’t keep so many jobs hidden in the crevices the job search would be so much easier!

3. Chalupa Batman

And the Chronicle of Higher Education! Their job section, Vitae, was helpful the last time I was looking.

1. Amy G. Golly

Another librarian here! I Need a Library Job (INALJ.com) is a VERY helpful website, though it was even more so when the maintainer was updating each state’s page with HTML links. (Though I don’t blame her for going back to the easier-to-maintain PDF lists.)

Michigan has a large consortium of libraries called The Library Network. Their job board is here: tln.lib.mi.us/jobs/

And there’s the ALA job list, though I’ve not found that one to be particularly useful myself.

2. Collie

Agreed! I also use my state association job line. Though, generally, I’ve found I catch more if I just go directly to the local government website’s job posts for public libraries (or the university, if I’m looking at academic librarianship).

1. Jill

Good gravy! I am working on getting my CRM designation and am delighted that there’s a sight for records management jobs!

2. Erin

Hi Meredith! It’s Erin (from the 2011 Germany tour, among other things) :) Somehow I knew all the cool people read AAM ☺️

1. Tomato Frog

I only look at ArchivesGig for archives jobs these days. I used to comb the internet but I found there were never any jobs of interest to me that weren’t also posted on ArchivesGig. Obviously your mileage may vary depending on the kinds of jobs you’re open to, but it was such a relief for me to allow myself to just look in one place. Bless Meredith Lowe for doing that.

1. Meredith

<3!!! I am so tickled about all this good lovin' here on AAM today. Thanks to you! I run Archives Gig and it's always good to see positive comments.

1. Tomato Frog

I’m so glad you’re in the comments today to see how much it’s appreciated! It’s such a great resource.

3. Language Lover

Also for librarians–ListServs. To find them, Google ListServe + any topic or librarian type of interest. Tons of jobs come over these.

My state’s best job resource is the Special Libraries Association’s community but it is password protected.

4. Collie

Does anyone know where to find groupings of virtual jobs? I’ve thrown around the idea of looking into work-from-home-reference-librarianship but haven’t had a lot of time to hunt for those jobs. INALJ has a category for them, but there’s rarely anything there.

5. PB

A lot of the specialist communities have their own job boards, including the Music Library Association, Medical Library Association, Special Library Association, and Society of American Archivists. If you’re looking for a job in a certain specialization, that’s a good place to start. I’m in special collections/rare book librarianship, so the postings on RBMS are my go-to: http://rbms.info/blog/category/news-events/jobs-positions/

I’ve found about half my jobs through ALA Joblist. It’s not the most easy to navigate resource, but I love their email service. You can customize what types of jobs you’re looking for, and it will email you twice a week (I think?) with any new postings that meet your criteria.

1. Jackie Paper

Several library schools have job boards that are open to the public, like UCLA GSEIS, UW Madison, and Simmons, which are good sources.

I’ve found Indeed to be useful for catching library jobs that might have fallen through the cracks of the other job boards.

1. MarianCSRA

Same here with Indeed. I use the email alert function to weed out just the jobs I’m looking for. Also, for public libraries, a lot of local governments use NeoGov, so setting up an email alert with them is helpful.

6. AlaskanLibrarian

Also don’t forget state associations and regional associations. We post all our things on PNLA (Pacific Northwest Library Association). And we have found several fantastic people there.
      http://www.pnla.org/jobs

1. 574Girl

Yes, check whatever state associations you might be interested in. Local places often post to their state association list-servs as well.

2. ModernHypatia

Seconding state boards: both my job hunts as a librarian, they’ve been really helpful.

I’d bookmark the ones for states I was reasonably willing to live in, and load all the tabs regularly, skim through, and get on with applications. Many of them let you filter by MLIS/not, or full-time/part-time.

7. another academic librarian

Academic librarian here eager to move to next position and hopefully a different part of the country: ALA Job List, ARL Jobs, HercJobs, InsideHigherEd.com, HigherEdJobs.com

8. Naomi

Thanks! Naomi of INALJ here, just wanted to say thanks for mentioning the site. I do for now (until I get sponsorship for each state page, have all LIS jobs listed under 2017 Jobs here: http://inalj.com/?p=1441 in pdfs. Additionally there are curated lists on each state page, also listed here: http://inalj.com/?p=1441 of TONS of other library jobs sites for each state you can use. These were originally lists on LISjobs that Rachel Singer Gorden created that hundreds of INALJ volunteers and I updated a few years back. This summer my goal is to link check. I moved to pdfs and away from a large volunteer staff as the pages were inconsistent and I’d rather find jobs than manage unpaid staff. I’d love to PAY but that requires sponsorship, so til then I will continue to update 4-5 days a week and hope it helps find job hunters job openings!

9. Not Rebee

Off topic entirely but I definitely read Moosely’s post as “Well, I’m a lesbian so..” and boy was I confused for a hot second! More coffee for me *blush*

1. Sassy AE

Alison mentioned PRSA for communications specialists, which is an awesome, awesome resource, but there’s also the International Association of Business Communicators (https://www.iabc.com/). Most media markets with a PRSA chapter should also have an IABC chapter.

1. H.C.

+1, also – from what I can tell, PRSA is used more often for agency positions & IABC for in-house communication departments.

2. InTheLibraryWorld

the ALA (American Library Association) twitter, RSS feeds for HigherEdJobs, ArchivesGig (Archives related only), AAM (American Association Museum) email.

1. Meredith

I run Archives Gig! I’m happy you like it! I do pull from ALA, HigherEdJobs, sometimes from AAM. If you’re in the mix for museumsy-jobs, the National Council on Public History and AASLH have lots of postings too.

3. Katniss

I would love to request nonprofit job boards here, as I’m starting a job search soon and wanted to focus in this area.

1. Danae

As a tip, Idealist’s job search recently stopped working for me in Chrome. I switched to Edge and it works much, much better there.

2. Hershele Ostropoler

Idealist just changed their site so that the search feature is less useful; this also borked the alerts. It is still comprehensive, though.

1. Lynn Rainham

I’m in Canada but Charity Village sometimes has American jobs, and if you’re into arts and cutlure non-profits – WorkinCulture is a goldmine.

1. Hollyrancher

Work in Culture – workinculture.ca

Great if you are in Canada (especially the Toronto/Southern Ontario area) and want to work for an Arts Organisation.

2. OhioNonprofitLady

Association of Fundraising Professionals for non-profit jobs in development, advancement, or philanthropy. ArtSearch from TCG (Theatre Communications Group) for theatre staff jobs (not to be confused with another site called ArtSearch). OffstageJobs for theatre production jobs.

A few Ohio specific: Cuyahoga Arts and Culture, Creative Compass, for Cleveland arts non-profit jobs. ArtsWave for Cincinnati arts non-profit jobs. Idealist for non-profit jobs in Cleveland. Philanthropy Ohio for non-profit jobs in Ohio. Community Shares for Cleveland non-profits.

1. OhioNonprofitLady

Oh, Idealist is actually national. It just always auto-pulls Ohio jobs based on my location.

2. OxfordCommonSense

For development t jobs, it can be helpful to look at local development job boards. For me, that’s AFP of Massachusetts, and Women in Development of Greater Boston (yes the men use this listing too).

3. Rachel Backstage

I came here to say Offstagejobs.com. It’s where I got my last internship and then an unrelated fulltime gig! (Thanks to AAM help, of course :))

3. CoffeeCoffeeCoffee

It’s specific to Pennsylvania/ Ohio (and sometimes remote jobs) but I’ve found NonProfitTalent.com to be the best one for nonprofit jobs.

4. Dislike Names

I’m in digital project management and would love to know if there are any boards I don’t know about. I frequent weworkremotely.com (since I’m also a remote worker) but that’s a bit more broad – but great for tech folks looking for remote positions.

I’m also VERY interested if anyone has any suggestions for finding technical freelance gigs. I have an account with LocalSolo but I’m not great at marketing myself so I haven’t had much luck there.

1. Ramona Flowers

I think people are missing this – you might want to repost in a separate thread below

5. LizB

Location-specific, but the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits jobs board is wonderful. Do watch out for positions classified as “full-time” in search results that are actually AmeriCorps roles, though, which I always find a bit misleading. (Yes, an AmeriCorps position is 40+ hours a week, but it’s not exactly what most people would consider standard full time employment.)

1. LQ

Agreed on MN Council of Nonprofits. I’d also say that a lot of states have similar organizations and I’d try to find the one that fits your state.

6. BeingTheChange

I’ve used several of the following sites for nonprofit job searches. (I’ve had the most success with receiving job interviews and offers from Idealist.org and Npo.net) All of them are free, but some do require you to register to use the search/apply function.

Job search sites:
      *Idealist.org
      *Npo.net
      *Bridgespan.org
      *Workforgood.org

Nonprofit recruitment/search firms:
      *Careersinnonprofits.com
      *Commongoodcareers.org

Trade publication sites:
      *philanthropynewsdigest.org
      *thenonprofittimes.com
      *philanthropy.com

7. SometimesALurker

Check out your state’s cultural council website, many of them have job boards. In Massachusetts, hireculture.org is the go-to for cultural sector nonprofit jobs. I’m not sure about human services nonprofits, although I’ve seen a few of those on hireculture too.

8. Okie

The Oklahoma Center for Nonprofts has a really robust job board for the whole state

OklahomaCenterForNonprofits.org/jobs

9. KayDay

Reliefweb is Idealist-level good but for primarily international opportunities (in the development/humanitarian/relief sectors).

4. Is it Friday Yet?

I’ve found ways to make Indeed a niche job board by searching instead by the types of software that I’m skilled in instead of Teapot Maker, Teapot Making, etc. Obviously, this won’t work for things like Microsoft Office, Word, etc because those programs are too broad.

1. Jubilance

I did this same thing in Indeed when I was looking for a laboratory job – I’d search by the lab technique, like “HPLC” or “GC-MS” instead of searching for “chemist”.

1. Kate in Scotland

Me too when I was an engineer using a niche electromagnetic modelling software package, I would just search for that package.

5. Madame X

I’m in a scientific field and I have a background in basic science and clinical research. The job boards that are most useful fro my career interests are Drop Out Club (a job listing for PhD scientists looking into careers outside of academia), Biocareers, Society for Neuroscience and my alumni listserv

6. Al Lo

This will be really city-specific, but for arts jobs (not audition notices as much, but arts admin and technical theatre in particular), my city’s arts council’s website has a classified section that’s quite active. It’s the first go-to for companies to post jobs, so it’s the best aggregate. Most major cities have some form of arts council, and if I were looking elsewhere, that would be my first stop.

There’s also a super active tech theatre Facebook group in my city where people post contract/casual job needs (as well as trade equipment, ask for leads, sell sets and props, etc). It may require an invite, but if your industry is tight-knit, there may be something like that.

1. Al Lo

Also, my province has niche service organizations for different disciplines, like the Alberta Choral Federation or Theatre Alberta. They also have job boards that are broader than just my city, but are very industry specific. I would check for a provincewide or statewide service provider for any given discipline. Who puts on your local theatre awards or hosts festivals or conferences? Whatever organizing body does that would be a great place to start, I would think.

1. TR

Good suggestions here.
      For epidemiologists, CSTE and EpiMonitor also have job boards.

Not so niche, but still relevant:
      Government Jobs for local government public health jobs
      USAJobs for federal
      If you’re interested in federal jobs, I’d recommend also looking for fellowships, which can get you in the door without having to go through USA Jobs. You can find some on agency websites, and others through ORISE or similar.
      For state public health jobs, I haven’t found a better method than just keeping an eye on individual state health department job listings. Those jobs should be posted on other boards, but it’s possible to miss them.

1. The Rat-Catcher

In Missouri, Department of Health and Senior Services publishes a newsletter called Friday Facts that lists the open state PH jobs.

1. J.D.

I would love to know how a “head of hospital” finds a job in the US. Where I am, there is a competitive entrance exam to get into a program and you have to serve the country. How is it in the U.S. ?

2. Pineapple Incident

Thanks for these! I knew about Emory and APHA but not the others- good to know for the future :)

3. Lurky McLurkerson

Emory’s Public Health Employment Connection is awesome for public health jobs of all kinds! I’ve gotten more than one job/interview from there!

1. DouDou Paille

Also JournalismJobs.com. I like MediaBistro but find it very weighted towards New York/east coast.

1. em2mb

For public radio, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting — http://www.cpb.org/jobline

I’ve found few industry positions actually make it onto Journalism Jobs, but that’s where I found my entry-level newspaper job in 2010.

2. Ramona Flowers

Also GorkanaPR (posted below but seems helpful to put in this tree too) for journalism, media and comms.

3. ExceptionToTheRule

TVJobs.com has a wealth of on-air, newsroom & technical positions. It’s a paid site, just FYI

7. Anon for this1

The international human rights nonprofit I work for uses the following to advertise:
    -Idealist.org
    -GlobalJobs.org (lowest volume of postings and highest quality of postings)

For journalism jobs (my old field):
    -JournalismJobs.com
    -IRE job board (requires membership)

1. Dankar

Also doesn’t hurt to join the SECUSS-L listserv run by University of Buffalo.

That’s where I found my current int’l ed position and I’ve seen at least 12 job postings in the last few days.

1. Anony Mouse

Yes, SECUSS-L is also helpful. Now if only there actually some int’l ed job opportunities in my centrally-located state….

1. J. F.

Also whatever one’s academic field’s main journal is (JACS, for example, for chemists) usually runs ads for faculty jobs.

1. Anonymousaurus Rex

Seconding VersatilePhD.com! It’s actually from a post there several years ago that I made my way to AAM…

8. L.

Former Capitol Hill staff and government relations professional here. The House and Senate both have their own job boards, the two parties and different congressional staff associations also have their own boards. For all the different boards that are available, I’d say the majority of Hill jobs are never advertised because hiring managers complain they’re flooded with applications. Lots of people also use Tom Manatos and Brad Traverse listservs for Cap Hill, campaign, non-profit, assorted government jobs, you have to pay for both of these. I understand Democratic Gain is a good place to find campaign and progressive non-profit jobs.

1. Marissa

Piggy backing on yours – Steny Hoyer’s app Whip Watch will notify you of the occasional congressional job opening. Seconding Tom Manatos and also for DC gigs – District Daybook. For campaign jobs across the country, Google group Jobs that are LEFT.

1. BPT

And I’d say if you have to pick between Brad Traverse and Tom Manatos – go with Brad Traverse. They have a lot of the same jobs posted, but BT usually has more and is updated more often.

9. Gene

We would use three for hiring in our group,

The Pretreatment Coordinators’ Yahoo Group
    Water Environment Federation Job Board
    National Association of Clean Water Agencies Job Board

1. BeingTheChange

Fwiw, I never used your site for job searches, but it was a priceless resource when I started a small girls mentoring program in rural MS several years ago. I recommend it to anyone interested in starting an npo or working in the field.

10. Sibley

Accounting related: check out the AICPA and the state specific CPA societies. I believe most have job boards, though my experience is there’s a lot of recruiter activity.

1. Sibley

Clarification: recruiters in general, not necessarily on the job boards. I’ve never used the job boards, I find getting in with the recruiters much more effective.

2. CPA here

Yeah, I’ve never checked the AICPA job board but I suspect it would not be good. Maybe better for certain smaller localities. I think Linkedin/Indeed/recruiters would probably be the way to go for job hunters.
      For recruiting, I take resumes from my alma mater and for direct hiring experienced hires into our group, they usually come through someone who works here already.

11. Mari

I write nonprofit grant proposals and use Idealist.org and the job boards managed by the Foundation Center, the Association of Fundraising Professionals, and the Grant Professionals Association.

1. Kat M

I’ve written a couple of small grant proposals (think a few hundred dollars to a couple thousand) as a volunteer before, and this is something I really enjoyed and might want to pursue professionally. My background is mostly in writing marketing materials. Any advice as to how to get started?

12. Greg

Haven’t used them in years, but Mediabistro (where I used to work) was always good for media jobs.

More broadly, here’s a key piece of advice for using niche boards: always look to see if they are populated with jobs from Indeed or some other aggregator. A lot of times, companies try to launch job boards on the cheap by just scraping other listings, which allows them to make it look like they have an active job board.

The problem with this approach is that it offers absolutely nothing to job seekers. After all, you can get the same listings by simply going to Indeed and doing a targeted search. The whole value in job boards comes from the fact that they can help you find jobs you otherwise might not discover. But that can only happen if the job board does the hard work of building up a reputation as the go-to place for that industry, with organic job listings.

So do your research. Another thing to look out for — if people in the industry recommend the job board as a place they’ve used to hire and/or find jobs. Not, “I hear ChocolateTeapots.com has a job board,” but “The last person I hired came from ChocolateTeapots.com” or “If you want to break into the chocolate teapot industry, go to ChocolateTeapots.com.” That was the kind of endorsement we always strived for (and generally achieved!) at Mediabistro.

13. Software Engineer / Data Scientist

I am a software engineer / data scientist / computational linguist.

I’ve used StackOverflow, TechCrunch, occasionally the Association for Computing Machinery / IEEE, the Linguist List when I’ve been looking at computational linguistics / natural language processing jobs, and niche interest Slack channels or listservs.

I also keep a running list of companies in my field of work and / or my area that I’ll just check the careers page manually for, especially the larger ones that are constantly hiring.

1. Software Engineer / Data Scientist

oh, and these get plenty of advertising these days, but Hired and similar personalized-recruiting-style agencies I’ve seen people get jobs through with a lot of success. Hired is limited by area, and I think it’s just for software engineers, but the people there seem to do a really good job of matching you with jobs they think are a good fit for you personally.

2. Jaguar

Yeah. Programming can be rough and I think it varies by city. Where I live (Vancouver), the biggest on is Indeed, but StackOverflow gets some as well (and there may be others, but I have no idea). I know in other places, Dice.com is one of, if not the biggest place for IT / software job postings (God I wish Vancouver companies would use Dice).

1. CAA

I think Indeed is the biggest pretty much everywhere now. Employers can post there for free, while StackOverflow and Dice charge (last time I looked at them, it’s been a few years). Also, if you post your jobs at StackOverflow and Dice, their in-house recruiters will call you and try to upsell you and try to get you to post even more listings, so I tend to avoid them. And really, I get the same candidates from Indeed as I get from the the other tech boards, so there’s no value-add in paying for a listing if the free one does what I need. When StackOverflow started their careers section, I had very high hopes, but it really hasn’t worked out for me either as an applicant or a hiring manager.

Honestly, as an applicant, the best response I’ve gotten has been when I applied directly on company websites. As a hiring manager, I haven’t really cared where the candidates came from as long as the same person wasn’t coming through both an external recruiter and a direct application, which means we have to disqualify them. Wikipedia has a lot of pages titled “List of Companies headquartered in X” or “… based in X”, where X is a major city, and I’ve used that page to launch job searches a couple of times.

1. Jaguar

Yeah, building up a list of places you would be happy working at and applying directly to them seems like the best way of going about it in tech. So much work, though!

2. Windchime

My experience has been similar to CAA’s. During my last job search, I did apply to several programming jobs through Indeed and I got some calls, but the leads that led to offers were the result of applying directly on the companies’ web sites. I’m sure there were tons of available jobs that I missed out on, but that didn’t matter because I found the one that’s right for me by applying directly to the company.

I didn’t know that StackOverflow had a jobs section. Good to know!

3. Tau

I was going to suggest StackOverflow! I really like it because most of the ads have the Joel test scores. As someone who’d like to find a new job where they’ve at least heard the words “best practice” before, that’s pretty valuable.

4. Susan C.

It’s pretty slow-moving, and geographically spread out (then again, no more so than LingList), but nlppeople is SO relevant to your interests!

5. J.B.

Anyone willing to talk about moving into data science from an adjacent field? How much formal vs informal education do you need? I’m currently working on a certificate through community college, not sure if another degree would be useful or not.

1. mooocow

I’m currently about to move into data science from computational linguistics / cognitive science / software development (yes, it’s hard to adequately describe my career path). In my experience, almost everyone working in Data Science has moved into there fom an adjacent field, as specific degrees in data science have only been established very recently. Most of my future colleagues have degrees in physics, maths/statistics, or computer science, my degrees are in linguistics and computer science.

There’s quite a big spectrum of what companies mean when they say ‘data scientist’, so ideally you’d try to get into a position that’s reasonably close to your original field (e.g., as a psychologist you’d opt for something more focused on statistics and data visualization, as a computer scientist stuff like machine learning or data engineering might be more suitable).

So far, my experience has been that employers are fairly open-minded regarding prior formal education, but hiring processes are quite thorough (expect long technical interviews with lots of in-depth talk about models / methodology / programming). Hands-on experience working with real data (especially Big Data) is considered a big plus.

If you would like more information, feel free to leave an e-mail address and I’ll contact you.

6. Software Engineer

I’ve used the Hacker News monthly “who is hiring” thread. It’s great for finding start-ups. Hiring managers often include their email address in the post, and to apply, you just email them. I’ve always gotten super quick responses.

14. Ursula

A lot of the local governments around here use governmentjobs.com to post their open positions (it’s the application portal too.)

1. H.C.

+1; that’s where I started with my current gov’t job (the portal also made it very easy for me to carry over identical info/materials for applying to several positions)

1. Neatby

In Chicago, the League of Chicago Theatres maintains a job board (leagueofchicagotheatres.org)

2. Nicole M Wood

We use MN Playlist (local) and Offstage Jobs for everything from touring tech positions to full-time corporate office staff.

15. Puffyshirt

For those of you in these areas I would love to hear what job boards you prefer —
    Creative designers, UX/UI
    Developers, QA
    Inside/outside sales
    HR professionals/recruiters

Thanks for your input!

1. designbot

I also added design below, but my resources tend more towards designers of physical objects like products and buildings than digital producers.

2. cleo

There are a lot of creative staffing agencies that post both temporary and permanent positions. I like Artisan Talent and Aquent.

16. MuseumChick

Field: Museums

Job Boards: 1) Every state has a museum association with a job board. Just google: “(State) Museum Association”. 2) The American Alliance of Museums 3) The Association of State and Local History. Those are some of the big ones. There are even more specific ones like the Internation Sports Heritage Association.

1. Museumgirl31

Massachusetts has hireculture.org. It meant for all cultural jobs in the state, but a lot of museums post to it.

17. MK

Three Vermont-based job boards:
    Farm to Plate job board (food, farming and sustainability-related): http://www.vtfarmtoplate.com/job-listings
    Vermont Businesses for Social Responsibility (think 7th Generation, Ben and Jerry’s, etc.): https://vbsr.org/for-internship-job-seekersvermont-intern-program/available-jobs/
    State of Vermont job listings: http://humanresources.vermont.gov/careers

VT actually has a pretty low unemployment rate right now, so if you’ve always wanted to live here (it’s amazing!), it’s a good time to look!

And one nationwide one for school-based jobs (including support services):
    School Spring – https://www.schoolspring.com/

1. Blue Anne

Damn! When I was moving back to the states a year ago I really wanted to move to Vermont but was turned off because everyone told me it had terrible unemployment. D’oh.

18. DCer

If you want to work in Washington, use BradTraverse.com

If you want to work in journalism, use JournalismJobs.com

1. dcbasic

+1 for BradTraverse.

Excellent for anything Washington D.C., but especially for political/nonprofit/think-tank jobs. Range of positions from admin/entry level to directors.

It got me three interviews and my current amazing job during a three month job hunt last summer!

2. Kimberlee, Esq.

I wanna add Tom Manatos Jobs to this! It’s a paid site but well worth it. There are jobs advertised there that you don’t see anywhere else.

19. Ramona Flowers

Most of mine are UK ones so they’ll only help a minority of people here, but I figure it’s worth posting anyway?

A go-to sure for journalism, PR & comms in the UK, US and elsewhere:
    http://www.gorkanajobs.co.uk
    http://www.gorkanapr.com/
    Gorkana also has a must-read daily industry email with news and moves e.g. “Jane Smith is now Teapots Editor of The Times and can be contacted at…” You can also send announcements that you’re available for freelance work. Everyone who’s anyone in the UK media gets this. Sign up at: http://www.gorkana.com/journalist-services/media-alerts/?nav_location=tabarea

Good site for broadcast, film and digital jobs in the UK (and sometimes international ones too):
    http://www.searchlight.com/

Charity & social care jobs in the UK:
    https://jobs.theguardian.com/
    https://www.charityjob.co.uk/
    http://jobs.thirdsector.co.uk/
    http://www.jobsgopublic.com/
    https://jobs.communitycare.co.uk/
    http://www.cypnowjobs.co.uk/

Branding/advertising/creative jobs in the UK and elsewhere (including design & copywriting):
    http://creativepool.com/jobs/
    http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/jobs/
    https://jobs.creativereview.co.uk/
    https://jobs.designweek.co.uk/
    https://the-dots.com/jobs/search

1. Ramona Flowers

Correction: Gorkana’s newsletter is twice-weekly. Think it was daily last time I got it (I moved fields), sorry for any confusion.

1. Ramona Flowers

And they have US ones too but I can’t speak to how many people get them. I do know that they’re a must in the UK.

1. Blue Anne

Caledonia, when I visit Scotland again, I seriously need to buy you a pint. I’ll be heading around Edinburgh/Fife/Glasgow next month. I bet we’ll find that we have mutual acquaintances.

1. Caledonia

Not sure if my email worked in above link (don’t think it did) but will have to catch you in the weekend open thread :)

2. Blue Anne

Neither do I! But 95% of my friends there are either writers or programmers. The scottish queer writer female contingent is a small and awesome group of people.

I’ll look for you in the open thread!

2. AVP

The US version of broadcast/film sites would be:

http://www.mandy.com for full-time or longer-running jobs in film/tv/entertainment. (Recently merged with FilmTVPRO)

http://www.staffmeup.com for shorter-term gigs

– “I Need a Producer” facebook group – helpful for connecting people although I can’t speak to how many really get hired through it.

http://www.d-word.com is indispensable reading for anyone in the documentary world, and there’s a message board on there where people often post requests for help, some of them paid.

Gorkana US is also a must for my journalist friends here.

3. Ramona Flowers

Also, for PR & comms jobs:
      http://www.prfutures.co.uk

They got me an interview for a really great job, to interview for the top end of the posted salary range – I ended up accepting another offer before I interviewed but the experience I had of them was really good.

20. Wildlife rehabber

Not sure to how many people who read this this will be useful but for animal care jobs I use:
    Association of Zoos and Aquariums http://www.aza.org/jobs
    National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association
    http://www.nwrawildlife.org/networking/

This one run by HSUS (not the best organization but a decent job board): https://www.animalsheltering.org/jobs

Additionally, if you know the location of where you want to work there will be more area specific boards.

21. Raven

My friends and I are all professional photographers and we often use the Facebook group Photography/Multimedia Internships and Jobs. It’s updated multiple times a day.

22. New Bee

Edjoin for K-12 classified and certificates positions, but it’s most prolific (by far) in California.

1. Not That Jane

Yup, I was coming here to say EdJoin too. It’s how I got my first teaching job (second was a personal connection to a charter network).

2. Louisa

Also for teaching jobs: SchoolSpring. I’m in Massachusetts (metro Boston), and it’s the job board of choice here. (Can’t speak for other locations, as I’ve only ever job searched in education in and around Boston.)

1. Book Lady

Seconding Publishers Marketplace. They have a daily email called Publishers Lunch that will send you daily publishing news updates and a list of job openings.

23. Ramona Flowers

This is already starting to look like an awesome resource! We have everything from zoos to librarians!

1. designbot

At this point I’m just cruising to see what careers people are in that I never really thought about before.

1. Belle

I find that my local SHRM career website is a good resource. A lot of companies post there for HR positions in my state.

2. Gandalf the Nude

I’d like to know this too. My local SHRM board seems bound and determined to pretend junior HR professionals don’t exist or need jobs.

3. Kimberlee, Esq.

TBH I feel like a lot of HR jobs in the DC area are just posted on Indeed. It’s a lot to sift thru, but Indeed is well-filled-out in the DMV.

24. Sal

For public interest law, PSJD hands down.

My husband uses NAIS for independent school jobs (admin and faculty), K-12. (Apparently this is what they call private schools now!)

1. Anonymous Educator

Definitely NAIS. There are also local ones for regions like AISNE for New England or CAIS for California.

25. TeacherNerd

Many (maybe even most) local school districts in Utah post their job postings at teachers-teachers.com; in many cases, one is even required to apply directly through that site, as opposed to sending your resume and other application materials to whomever serves as the “contact” or poster.

26. FisharenotFriends

If you can get access to a university job board, even if you dont go there. For instance, I use the engineering co-op board for a local university as they advertise jobs there that they wouldnt have outside. its especially useful if you are moving somewhere and looking for listings in that area.

I also post job ads for local businesses into the school I work at, and from what I understand most jobs are happy for the larger applicant pool with outside applicants applying.

27. Manders

I would love some tips on where to hunt for digital marketing jobs! Craigslist and Indeed were great for entry-level stuff but don’t have that much for someone who’s no longer entry-level.

1. Digital designer

Ditto. In particular I’m looking for US-based, mid/senior level design focused jobs, preferably at creative agencies.

2. CAA

I’m not aware of any niche boards for digital marketing. When I worked at a digital agency, we posted on Indeed, our agency website, and on our social media channels including LinkedIn. Senior people usually came to us through networking, so it’s a lot of “who you know”.

If you’re looking for more of an in-house marketing job rather than an external agency, look on the same channels where the company recruits for other positions. For a position in a department that’s not the company’s core business, HR is very likely to just use what they know.

3. Kimberlee, Esq.

I am not sure about postings, but my company, Vox Media, often has marketing positions open, I would encourage you to look! (I’m not in marketing, so I’m basically a messenger, but it’s a good place to work!) http://www.voxmedia.com/pages/careers-jobs (sorry Alison if I’m being too much of a shill!)

4. Dee

Inbound.org is another place to look—I’ve only used it as a job poster, but it’s a very active community.

1. Fed Minion

Yup, I was going to post this too. You would be surprised at all the different fields that have openings, so if you search for a particular field like HR or interior design or really anything, you could find something, somewhere.

28. designbot

Design in the US:
    Architecture: http://archinect.com/jobs
    Environmental Graphic Design: http://jobs.segd.org/
    Graphic Design (general, but particularly branding and print): http://designjobs.aiga.org/
    * Also check whether your local AIGA chapter has its own board. I remember the LA AIGA chapter having great local listings.
    All types of design, but especially Industrial design: http://www.coroflot.com/
    Coroflot also has a super helpful design salary guide.

1. EddieSherbert

Bigshoes also has all other kinds of communications roles too – social media, PR, admin, etc.

I’m a big fan of their site!

29. AMT

For social workers and mental health professionals, there’s socialservice.com. Idealist can also be good.

1. Canadian Economist

Here is a link to the job section of the Canadian Economics Association, which contains links to a number of professional sites on the north side of the border. Possibly of greater interest this coming year. :)

30. RR

For international development/international aid, globally: DevEx: www dot devex dot com
    For international development operations/support functions (Finance, IT, HR, Contracts, etc), with an emphasis on US Government funding (especially USAID-funded organizations): InsideNGO: InsideNGO dot org

1. kw10

For international development, I definitely second Devex. It is by far the biggest resource. You have to create an account and there are different levels but the free version is usually enough.

My company also posts international development jobs on DevNet and Relief Web.

31. Kate

As a Therapy recruiter, I’ve used the industry associations’ job boards. I’ve gotten zero hires from these, so I won’t be using them in the future. If you’re a PT, PTA, OT, OTA, or SLP/ST, these sites are full of job postings, so it’s worth your time.

Speech language pathologists (SLP)/speech therapist (ST): asha.org
    Physical therapist (PT) and physical therapy assistant (PTA): apta.org
    Occupational therapist (OT) and certified occupational therapy assistant (COTA): aota.org

1. Kate

Not niche, but the majority of my Therapy hires come from Indeed. Therapists, consider putting your resume on indeed.com if you want recruiters to email you instead of having to apply to positions. (But I know you’re already probably getting plenty of outreach from recruiters!)

32. Kate

For administrative support positions, check out the International Association of Administrative Professionals: iaap-hr.org

1. Kate

For hiring managers complaining* about being inundated with unqualified candidates whenever you post an administrative assistant position — iaap-hr.org is a great place to advertise.

*Been there, got 200+ candidates in < 18 hours, most with no assistant experience. If you need someone experienced, like for an executive assistant position, consider not advertising your administrative support positions on your main company job page, and instead only posting to a professional organization. That way, it's only seen by people who are making a career out of administrative support.

1. SheLooksFamiliar

Kate, here’s the thing about your comment. For many companies in Corporate America (those that follow certain Executive Orders that require an Affirmative Action Plan, those that choose to have an AAP that includes consistency and best practices in staffing, those audited by the OFCCP) posting certain job families or grade levels on the company career page is required. Beyond that, in 2005 a poorly worded law was passed by legislators that thought Monster was the way everyone recruited. It drastically changed ‘the electronic application process’, and company career pages became more critical to compliance and plain old efficiency. If I follow your ‘advice’, I’d have the usual applicant flow plus whatever IAAP draws. See where I’m going with this?

Still, I can tell you that one of my recruiters did try IAAP some time ago for a high-profile EA role, and it wasn’t very helpful. YMMV.

I can see from the many responses on this post that I’m in a minority, in that I work with a Fortune 50 company. A lot of what I/we do isn’t probably what non-profits need to do. So I’ll ask that folks try to understand that there really is a reason for why Corporate America does what it does when it comes to staffing (like government compliance). Maybe it doesn’t make a lot of sense, but there’s a reason for it.

33. The_artist_formerly_known_as_Anon-2

A contrarian view – many professional groups officially prohibit recruiting and job searching – this is true of two professional groups I’ve been affiliated with.

Before anyone says “how dare they?” or “that’s stupid” — often employers pay for their employees’ membership, conference fees, and so forth. If you went to a conference on your boss’ dime, came home and gave your two-week notice because someone offered you a job at the Teapot Manufacturers’ Conference, that group might not be in business very long.

1. Natalie

I’m not clear on what’s contrarian here? That might be true for some professional associations, but surely those groups wouldn’t host a job board, which is the only reason they’re mentioned in the post.

1. The_artist_formerly_known_as_Anon-2

Yeah against the trend of looking for jobs online – everyone is mentioning “join” or “contact” (this group, that group, the other group).

Just an advisory that some of these professional groups intentionally steer away from having a job search functionality, for the reasons I stated.

That being said – joining such groups is not a bad idea, anyway. Because of the networking possibilities you’ll find, in case you do have to “move on” to another situation.

1. Natalie

Ah, that makes more sense. I’ve just been skimming the comments looking for my field so I didn’t register that people were suggesting joining groups regardless of whether or not they have job services.

1. The_artist_formerly_known_as_Anon-2

Well, it’s good to join some of those professional groups – but they’re primarily for knowledge transfer and professional development and education, and not a job source.

In fact, one of the groups has an annual convention and conference, and a firm’s exhibit hall booth was shut down and expelled from the hall because they went there for the sole purpose of recruiting!

34. Bridget

I’d love to see your recommendations for hospitality executives (catering sales, F&B management, etc). Will be starting a search in a few months when we move back to Baltimore!

1. Tourism Professional

I’m hospitality adjacent (tourism) and can confirm hcareers is still used here (Northeast, USA)

1. Sarah B

In California, the Cal/OSHA Reporter always carries good safety job announcements. I believe a subscription to the site/newsletter is free if you are unemployed and everyone can get the job announcements and a daily news email for free. American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) also has a job board. EHScareers.com has some jobs also.

1. Arts professional

Another vote for NYFA for New York art jobs.

Most museums also post openings on their websites so if there are any that you are specifically interested in, you should check those regularly. AAM (American Alliance of Museums) and AAMC (Association of Art Museum Curators) each have their own job boards; but I think you have to be a member of those organizations for access.

35. justsom

Looking for rec’s for entry level or freelance technical writing. Everything I’m finding in my general search wants 5+ years experience.

1. Vin Packer

I’ve been thinking about the EFA, but it’s kinda pricey for me. You’re saying it’s worth it?

36. Stephanie

Engineering:
    Domain-specific groups like American Society of Mechanical Engineers
    Identity groups like the Society of Women Engineers or the National Society of Black Engineers (I’ve seen people at both conferences who aren’t that identity group)–you may have to be a member to access the job board.

If you have access to it as an alumni AND your job board is halfway decent: your alma mater’s job board (my undergrad one wasn’t that useful, but YMMV).

1. J.B.

I also find that locally it’s a small world so company postings + networking are best beyond entry level.

2. CC

Well this isn’t very positive. I just checked my domain-specific group (Canadian Society for Chemical Engineering, for me) and there were three postings for the entire country, none in my province, and none in the category of engineering. But hey, it’s another place to look.

37. Emac

Any recommendations for Medical Records/Medical Coding/Health Information Management (in the U.S., especially Massachusetts)? Especially ones with some entry level positions (trying to change fields).

1. Medical Coder

Try Jobs For American Medical Coders on Facebook. Lots of recruiters there, remote positions, and this is the start of HCC coding season which is usually friendly to entry level coders.

1. Emac

Awesome, thank you! I actually don’t have any experience or education in coding yet – I’m hoping to start a certificate program at a local community college this summer that will lead to being able to pass the test to be a CPC or CCS. Do you think this site would still be useful? I am thinking of looking for a very entry level medical records job to start.

1. The_artist_formerly_known_as_Anon-2

Do any of these certificate programs offer internship opportunities?

2. Medical Coder

It would still be useful! There are lots of files with good info, people asking about coding schools or coding questions, and there are sometimes “foot in the door” postings, which are things like medical records positions. Also, if your community college uses the Career Step curriculum, there is a CareerStep Coders group on fb, that is great. Good luck!

2. Lark

AAPC and AHIMA both have job boards and often listings specify if they will take brand new coders. I’m certified through AAPC and my local chapter shares job opportunities in the area. I should note the job boards have a lot of remote work which usually requires at least a year or two of coding experience and is hospital based (I do physician coding).
      Also check your local medical groups and hospitals directly; I keep all of the ones in my area bookmarked. You can get your foot in the door doing data entry or claims follow-up if you can’t get a coding position right away.

38. Felicia

For Canadian media jobs, mediajobsearchcanada.com is great. CharityVillage is the best for non profit jobs in Canada (and pretty much the only niche job board that works for that.

39. Ashley

For jobs in entertainment closer to admin/pr/development/studio etc instead of production, I would recommend EntertainmentCareers.net

40. Critterpro

Animal sheltering:

– Society of Animal Welfare Administrators sawanetwork.org
    – ASPCApro aspcapro.org
    -Humane Society of the United States animalsheltering.org

41. Kate

For fundraising/developmental professionals, particularly those in donor relations and stewardship, check out the ADRP’s (Association of Donor Relations Professionals) job board. You don’t have to be a member to view it. http://www.adrp.net/

Writers, editors, designers, communications types– there are a lot of jobs for you in donor relations and stewardship. Worth looking at adrp.net.

42. Unlucky Bear

Chicago area/D.C.
    I got my last two jobs (the first one coming off a newspaper layoff) from the Association Forum (associationforum.org). They have a jobs board for nonprofit/professional association jobs.

43. kn

I’m an insurance broker in Canada. You can google “insurance brokers association of (province)” to find local job postings.

44. De Minimis

I work in non-profit, we post to Idealist and occasionally Work for Good. Idealist we almost always use.

Truth be told, though, our Craigslist postings get the most results.

1. Ashie

My experience with Craigslist was quantity over quality. Lots of responses but hardly any that remotely fit the position. And almost nobody read the job description.

1. De Minimis

We’re located in the Bay Area so it may be a little different here. We’ve only gotten a few responses that were the result of scattershot job searches [though one of those applicants sent an angry, profane response in ALL CAPS to our hr alias e-mail when our standard rejection e-mail was sent.]

45. CM

This is VERY niche, but for in-house legal counsel jobs: I think goinhouse.com is the best, and the ACC (Association of Corporate Counsel) In-House Jobline is also good. I’d also look at local bar association and professional groups, like AIPLA for intellectual property lawyers, which often have job boards or mailing lists. (I also created a list of companies I’d like to work for and subscribed to their job alerts and/or checked their careers pages regularly.)

1. Naruto

Interesting! I look at local bar association stuff, and law firms and some corporations post to the big ones like Glassdoor, but I didn’t realize there were niche law job boards like that.

1. Jennifer Walters

Copyright Society of the USA also has their own job list on their website. If you’re looking into inhouse entertainment (some firm work, but not a lot), there’s also entertainmentcareers.net. Also, goinhouse.com has a twitter, which is very handy when you’re not actively job searching, but want to know what’s out there.

2. in-house lawyer

+1 on all of this.

(And I stay subscribed to these even when I’m not looking to know what the field looks like and where to refer friends.)

46. LG

I am a freelance graphic designer and check Creative Hotlist. I will say that it has a lot more jobs in bigger cities and fewer in my (smaller-town) area, but they all seem like legitimate creative jobs (design, project manager, web, etc.) Especially if you live in a city or are willing to move a bit for a job, I recommend this as a place to check out.

47. Meg Murry O'Keefe

ICT4D Jobs (http://ict4djobs.com/) has a newsletter that’s good if you’re interested in both technology and international development. However, I’ve had trouble actually signing up for the newsletter, so you might just want to go to their page. And EdPlus Consulting has a lot of listings for education jobs outside of classroom teaching (https://edplusconsulting.com/job-postings/).

I’d also like to note another service, although I’m not sure it’s an endorsement: ReWork (http://www.rework.jobs/) tends to have really interesting postings in the tech, design, and nonprofit spheres (it bills itself as a “progressive recruiting firm”). However, I’ve had uniformly bad experiences dealing with ReWork themselves – the idea is that you do a sort of pre-interview with them, and although I’ve gone through that process more than once with them over the course of a few years, they’ve always been terrible at following through and letting me know the status of my application (even though they explicitly promise to do so). It’s possible things have changed, but I’ve generally found it to be really frustrating.

*NB: I don’t know if the last paragraph is allowed or not? If not, let me know, Alison, and I can delete/rewrite.

48. Sara, a Lurker

This is great! I’m a recovering academic and keep a web page with a list of links to help my bookish kin escape academia without getting another degree. I’ll add some from commenters here, and probably the whole page itself!

My contributions:
    Philaculture is the absolute best for arty and literary jobs in Philadelphia.

For publishing and media jobs: BookJobs, Publisher’s Marketplace, AAUP for university presses, Bookbuilders of Boston sometimes has listings for remote opportunities, Mediabistro of course. I love food culture and history, so I sometimes check out GoodFoodJobs for food-related writing or marketing jobs, but they have all kinds–nonprofit, service, etc.

Also, I actually find Indeed.com incredibly useful for helping me find niche boards or hiring companies. When I was job-hunting I’d search for my city and one or two keywords–“writer” or “editor”–and the aggregator would sometimes pull from boards I hadn’t visited. It allowed me to apply to and snag an interview with a publishing company that only posted job openings to CareerBuilder, for example.

1. Archmage of Ink

I’m moving to New Hampshire this summer. I have experience in the printing industry – estimating/project managing special projects and training in PMing. Would those publishing sites still be the most recommended places to scour?

1. Sara, a Lurker

I agree with George overall, as the sites I referenced are mostly used by presses and publishing houses rather than by print services. However, I am also a big fan of casting a wide net, so I’ll add that there are a fair amount of PM-type jobs in publishing. (Titles like production manager, managing editor, and production editor might draw on this skillset.) As an advertising and direct mail manager at a small press, I was responsible for purchasing and scheduling print services like catalogs and brochures; that might overlap with your skillset too.

49. Starbuck

For wildlife biology, conservation, environmental education, and related jobs I’ve had great success using the Texas A&M Department of Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences Job Board- it gets national and international posts, to me it seems to be used just as much (or more) than the other job boards for this industry. I’ve found it to be a very useful resource in my career so far.
    http://wfscjobs.tamu.edu/job-board/

1. Anonforthis - Archaeologist

I work with a ton of wildlife bios/botanists and they all vote that this is their favorite site.

50. Jolie

I’m working in policy /research /communications /campaigning for charities and nonprofits in the UK. W4MP and Charity Job is where I usually look when I need to job hunt.

51. Sam

https://www.edjoin.org/

For K-12 teachers and other school-based staff (janitorial, administrative, substitutes, classroom aides, etc.). You can also try individual school districts or counties web sites, although many of them just link back to Edjoin.

52. SameCoin

could any one recommend a job for scientists? my background is molecular engineering.

thanks!

1. sometimeswhy

We recruit science positions through Indeed, Craigslist, (maybe still careerbuilder? monster?), our institution’s site, a bunch of university job placement departments (which isn’t much help to you but for the sake of completeness), job fairs including uni and science, and probably other places I’m missing right now.

When I was actively job hunting, I put in interest cards at university labs and found the websites for every [mycity]+government jobs, [mycounty]+government jobs, [mystate]+government jobs, and usajobs.gov. I also kept a bookmark list of specific institutions I *wanted* to work for and kept an eye on their job opportunities pages.

I’ll be keeping an eye on this post with hopes of finding additional options to incorporate into our recruitment resources, especially with an eye toward diversifying our applicant pools.

53. Anonforthis - Archaeologist

Archaeology/Cultural Resources:

ArchaeologyFieldwork.com
    ShovelBums
    Society for American Archaeology (SAA)
    American Institute of Archaeology (AIA)

State institutions have their own sites as well and there’s sites for historic archaeology vs prehistoric floating around somewhere.

And, of course, government: USAjobs, state jobs, county, and tribal agencies.

I’ve actually found most of my jobs on Indeed, interestingly enough, but I have been hired by a local tribe and that position was sent to me from a recruiter for a posting on their website.

54. H.C.

The United Talent Agency (UTA) runs a regular-updated Entertainment Job List that has a lot of service-oriented jobs in the entertainment industry (e.g. personal/production assistant, casting, officer manager/receptionist, publicity/marketing, etc.) It has a good variety of entry-level and mid-level positions, plus internships (though these are mostly unpaid).

UTA doesn’t post this email job list on their own sites, but a quick Googling should turn up with a few sites that re-post it verbatim.

55. Sour Grapes

For everything regarding the wine industry – winejobs.com (including internships, sales, winemaking, viticulture, you have it). This is the main site that almost everyone uses, but there is also winejobsusa.com (and it’s counterpart winejobscanada, and winejobsnz). For Australia and New Zealand specific (great if people are looking to do a harvest abroad) wineindustryjobs.com.au is a great website.

56. Tag_atl

Does anyone have business to business sales boards? Internet searches and general job boards can often be bogged down with retail sales or MLM type of positions.

57. Tina

For fundraising and development:

Association of Fundraising Professionals – afpnet.org (the national org has a career center that you can organize by geography). But also the regional chapters have their own job boards. The NYC one is great and has jobs for the whole NY tri-state area.

Also Philanthropy News Digest, Philanthropy NY (NY, obviously) are good.

The Chronicle of Philanthropy always has jobs in nonprofits, foundations, charities, etc that aren’t only fundraising.

58. YWD

Boston tech companies – venturefizz dot com
    Education tech – Boston / New England and some other areas – iwannaworkinedtech dot com

59. Marvel

OffstageJobs.com and ARTSEARCH.tcg.org are my go-tos for theatrical production and administration. Sometimes there are also more general entertainment/event management gigs on there (trade shows, festival staffing, etc.). OffstageJobs is my all-time favorite, but occasionally something shows up on ARTSEARCH but not on there, and ARTSEARCH has a lot more education-oriented jobs (professors, university staff, etc.).

60. Tabby Baltimore

intelligencecareers.com and clearedjobs.net for the defense intelligence industry. I don’t know anything about business intelligence jobs, but if anyone has a suggestion, please add it.

61. Junior Dev

A lot of people recommend Dice for tech jobs but I didn’t find them helpful. It was mostly recruiter spam. I got my current job from asking for leads on Twitter, and hearing back from someone I’d met at a Women in Tech meetup.

If you want to work at a startup, try Angelist or search for “startup message board” + your city.

Has anyone tried Stack Overflow jobs, either to get a job or to hire people? I don’t actively participate on Stack so I’m kind of intimidated by it.

1. Tau

I’m currently looking on SO jobs and have liked it so far. You definitely don’t have to actively participate on SO to apply! I like the fact that you’ve got Joel test scores for a lot of jobs and that they’ve often got a very simple, streamlined application process (often literally just “okay, attach your CV here and paste your cover letter here.”) That said, although there are a lot of jobs being posted for the area I’m looking in the proportion of senior to mid-level or junior jobs seems a bit out of whack…

62. MsMarvel8591

Hello,

I am a Human Resources Management major and I am wondering if anyone knows a job board the features internships or entry level positions in the human Resources Field? I am mostly interested in corporate training but any internship the is in the HR field would be a great stepping stone!

63. Cas

Ethicaljobs.com.au for Australian not for profits and related. Doesn’t have the best search functions though

64. Orchestral Musician

For orchestral jobs: the main listing is the union publication International Musician (you need a subscription), but most jobs end up on musicalchairs.info. For European orchestras, http://www.muv.ac/en/vacancies is a good resource (though some will be listed on musicalchairs too).

65. Massholeteacher

It’s that time of year that teachers and other school staff start looking for next fall!

Schoolspring.com is the place to go for anything teaching related for preschool all the way past high school (teachers, principals, paras, therapy staff, admin, custodians, coaches….)

The other okay one for this is k12jobspot.com it’s not as big and well known but still has quite a few!

66. SheLooksFamiliar

The Riley Guide used to be a great library of career resources; Margaret Riley Dikel, the founder, has a Masters in Library and Information Science. The site has changed its domain name but it still catalogs job boards by interest and location.

So in addition to the great recommendations for niche job boards, I’ll offer this link for fun:
    https://www.myperfectresume.com/how-to/career-resources/jobs/

Plus, just Google “niche job boards” and prepare to spend some time rabbit trailing through lots of pages.

67. Accounts Receivable/Credit

National Association of Credit Management (NACM) has regional affiliates that typically post jobs for Accounts Receivable/Credit/Billing positions. Google NACM and the state you are in to find the affiliate in your area.

68. Pam

curious if anyone knows niche boards for
    Climate Change related jobs or Environmental Policy. Could be non-profit or also for-profit.

69. Kat M

When I still did hands-on work, I used to frequent the AMTA (American Massage Therapy Association) Job Bank for licensed massage therapists in the US. They also post jobs for massage school instructors, which can include non-MTs if you have a background in anatomy and physiology. https://www.amtamassage.org/jobbank

You don’t need to be a member to see jobs.

70. Lisa

I’ve found a couple positions through WorkingInTech (formerly Waterloo Tech Jobs), which focuses on positions in tech companies for a range of jobs, in the Toronto Waterloo corridor in Canada. Link here: https://www.workintech.ca/

71. Noah

Airline/Aviation.

For the larger carriers, generally the best place is still each airline’s website. However, climbto350.com is great for smaller carriers.

For aviation safety, one of the best I’ve found is actually a company Curt Lewis & Associates, http://www.curt-lewis.com. You have to sign-up for their newsletter, but there are jobs on the newsletter almost everyday.

72. Winger

People in America interested in the arts, broadly speaking, should check their local/regional arts council websites for job postings. The NY State Council on the Arts, California Arts Council, etc, as well as city agencies in large cities like the San Francisco Arts Commission. You can generally google “location name” + “arts council” and find something.

Another great resource for jobs in the arts (again, broadly speaking) is the NY Foundation for the Arts, nyfa.org, which maintains a great classified section. I lived in NYC several years ago and found a job on the west coast through that site. You can find jobs in marketing, fundraising, curatorial stuff, event planning, all sorts of things.

1. Winger

Actually now that I think about it, I found two jobs through NYFA, one on the west coast and one prior to that in NYC. Early in my career it was practically the only resource I used, because the opportunities were all so interesting and it updated frequently. Might be different now.

73. Sitting with sad salad

What a great thread. Off topic, but similar question – what’s the best way to research salaries.? Are there any good websites that can help you know what a competitive salary is for a position? I’m hoping To prep for the “salary requirements” question.

74. Rogue

For those in the oil & gas industry:

Roadtechs.com (actually has multiple job boards for other industries)
    Roaddogjobs.com
    Rigzone.com

75. Corrosion Guy

This is super niche but for corrosion engineers and other corrosion control personnel, the jobs board at jobs.nace.org (NACE International, formerly the National Association of Corrosion Engineers) is a good one. Another good one is corrosionjobs.com.