how to write a great cover letter

I’ve read a lot of cover letters in my career – thousands of them, maybe even tens of thousands. (If you’re thinking that sounds like really boring reading, you’re right.) And in them, I’ve seen job seekers make the same basic mistakes over and over. In fact, bad cover letters are so prevalent that they’re far more common than good ones.

At New York Magazine today, I’ve written up instructions for how to write a great cover letter. You can read it here.

1. SoCalHR

“Strive for the tone you’d use if you were writing to a colleague who you liked a lot but didn’t know especially well.”
    Great description regarding the tone of cover letters.

1. DecorativeCacti

This has really helped me get over my perfectionism with cover letters. I would agonize over them for hoooouuuurs trying to get everything just right.

I still agonize, but thinking of it as just a quick “this is why I’m excited about this job” has cut down on the time I spend on them.

2. BRR

The tone is so important in my opinion. If you make it warm and conversational it really helps you stand out. I’ve read a few cover letters that were fantastic and when I’ve finished them I think, “Wow, I really want to meet (interview) this person.”

“Show, don’t tell” also sticks out to me because we recently were hiring and one candidate had good experience but their cover letter and interview was filled with telling. Ironically, in their cover letter they told us how good their writing skills were.

1. HumbleOnion

I just reviewed a cover letter from a candidate who told me she was a humor writer. I wish she’d have used that skill to write an engaging cover letter, but alas!

1. Armchair Analyst

One time I quoted from “The Simpsons” in my cover letter. I did not get that interview.

2. Jadelyn

Agreed re tone – robotic-sounding or overly-jargon-filled CLs don’t do you any good. “I am certain I would be an asset to [organization] and could leverage my skills to make a positive impact…” By this point, my eyes have rolled out of my head, across the floor, and down the hall, and I’m not reading any further because you don’t sound like a human, you sound like a template copy-pasted from a college careers center website, and if I wanted to read that I could just google “cover letter template”. Talk like a human! Talk *to me*, not at me or at the organization via my eyeballs. I’d rather a cover letter that’s got a minor grammatical inconsistency here or there but *sounds* like the way a person would talk, than a technically perfect cover letter that tells me absolutely nothing of substance about the human who wrote it.

3. ArtsNerd

One of the most important things I learned about cover letters from reading AAM over the years is: A person is reading them. Not some mysterious “boss” concept, but an actual person with all the attention span and humor and curiosity that comes with being human. It’s not a test; it’s an introduction.

Actually empathizing with the hiring manager’s point-of-view is one of those things that can seem obvious in hindsight, but totally changed the way I approached applying for jobs (and grants). It’s a game-changer.

4. puzzld

Great advice. I show dogs. One of the best pieces of advice that our trainer gives is never make the judge think. So if you have some factor that’s going to make the hiring manage go “hmm that’s odd!” address it in your cover letter. You live in Hawaii and are applying for a job in South Dakota… Hmmm. Whyever would they want to move here? You are earning $30 hourly and you’re applying for an $11 hourly?? Tell me why.

5. Llamarama (Ding Dong)

I used Alison’s cover letter tips last spring/summer when looking for a new job. My cover letter definitely set me apart, but what I found really interesting was that the companies that mentioned the cover letter and were clearly impressed with it were the companies that were a better fit for me. They were passionate about the same things I am, and that connection and extra data point were very useful when evaluating offers.

6. Liz

Last year I was applying to a job that asked for less experience than I had, but I was really interested in the company. So (based on some AAM advice) I concluded with a paragraph explaining my personal interest in the role and finished “That’s why, although I am slightly below your preferred experience level, I would consider it a step forward in my career to accept this position if offered.”

Not only did they call me in for an interview… they wound up offering me a higher title and salary than they had initially planned for the position! I’ve been here eight months now and it’s awesome. I can’t thank Alison enough for her advice honestly.

1. Specialk9

I reread that several times before I saw your correction. It makes a difference, thanks.

And what a cool story. I know, now, that I’ve been writing those bad cover letters, but haven’t yet had to pull out the new skill.

1. Teapot Reader

I recently applied for, and got, a job in the not-for-profit sector which was a considerable step up in responsibility but a considerable step down in pay. I thought this might cause the side-eye to my application. I wrote in my covering letter ‘I am fortunate to be at a stage in my career where I can prioritise the job sector over the job salary,’ and backed it up with evidence of my passion for the mission of the organisation. No-one ever mentioned it at interview.
          I suspect it helped that my former line manager knew I was passionate about this mission, and when they phoned her for a reference before interview, she was all ‘yeah, we know we’re going to lose her to a senior post at some point, she’s nuts about this stuff and keeps making us try to do more of it here, etc’

7. Dee

I’ve been using AAM’s resume and cover letter suggestions to great results – until I get to the interview portion. I never lie about my skills or demeanor in the materials (I actually usually explicitly address the fact that I tend to be pretty quiet), but even still I’m sensing that there’s a disconnect between who I am on paper and who I am in real life. I would get this a lot in college as well (“You don’t speak much in class, but your writing ‘voice’ is excellent”, etc). Are there any suggestions on how to bridge that divide?

1. Specialk9

I tend to get overly excited in that kind of situation, so my trick is to take a deep breath and channel a specific person who is both very mellow and utterly bone-deep delightful. I wonder if you could try a similar combo of physical and channeling a person. Maybe work on mirroring body language (it really does work!), and having the slightest tilt upwards to your lips (it lifts the mood and warms the eyes).

Then think of someone who you really like who is expressive in a way that seems natural, but like 25-50% more expressive than you, not 900% more. Then channel them – how would X act or respond?

Also, I am pretty sure that most of the strangers I love the most would likely be very quiet and reserved in person. Lois M Bujold, the Blogess, Attack of the Redneck Mommy (well, maybe not her), Patricia Briggs, Laurie R King…

8. SarahKay

I like the advice about not stressing over the opening line. I used to be awful at that, not just for cover letters but for projects, reports etc. I wouldn’t start the letter because I just couldn’t get that first line.
    Then I discovered that, for me, the trick was start on paragraph two and just pretend I had paragraph one done. That let me jump in, and get the rest of it done, at which point I could usually work out what I wanted or needed to put in paragraph one.

9. Rachel

Great advice! After reading the article, I started writing a cover letter first as an email to a friend and I am pleased with the result of telling about why I enjoy mediation for a legal fellowship.

10. Amber Rose

Does feedback from managers count as showing? I was told by my manager today that my supervisor reported that all the things we discussed me doing during my sort-of review a couple months ago, I did, and that it’s great the way I buckle down and get things done. They were kind of abstract projects with no particular due dates.

Or is it better to just discuss the projects I completed in more detail.

11. T3k

I’ve learned for my intro line to make it personable and that’s gotten me more interviews than in the past. My latest one is explaining a small situation where I suddenly knew X was the job/field I wanted to be in and go from there.

12. smoke tree

My difficulty is always trying to figure out which accomplishments to include in my resume and which work better for the cover letter. I find my job a little hard to summarize because it’s very communication, detail and relationship oriented, and there aren’t a lot of hard measurements or achievements I can point to beyond “author was happy” and “book was more readable.” It’s also quite repetitive by nature, so there aren’t really major projects I can highlight. I usually include author and manager feedback, but I’m never sure if it would work better for my cover letter or resume, since I don’t really have any better metrics to include in my resume.

13. nep

Not sure whether I should put something like a mini cover letter in a section of an online application that says: ‘Please state briefly why you think you are an outstanding candidate for this job. Max 1,000 characters.’ Or just an opening line with some bullet points. (This is about the third place on a several-component application where I’m to state why suitable for the job…)

14. Jana

While I think this is great advice, but I’m a little confused as to how to actually apply it… My work experiences have mostly been very negative, I don’t have a long list of accomplishments to draw from that allows me to avoid repeating accomplishments listed on my resume in my cover letter. If your work successes are easily measured, I see how it’s compelling to describe them explicitly, but what happens when those successes aren’t measured in numbers? Or when they exist in a crappy work environment? I mean, one of my biggest accomplishments in one job was managing relationships with other departments because no one wanted to deal with my boss who never did any work and misused grant money. At another job, I managed to stay 6 months at a place with a 1-star Glassdoor rating where literally everyone quit after a couple days or 1 week. How do you manage cover letters and resumes when your most recent work experience is uniformly terrible? I’m guessing it’s a red flag if you have to go back 8-10 years in your experience to point to significant work success rather than just putting out interpersonal fires that have nothing to do with your skills or interests.

15. Alex

I have seen job ads that say things like “Submit a cover letter that addresses how you meet each of the qualifications listed.” In those cases do you have to rehash your resume or can you just focus on a few examples?