December 2013

most popular posts of 2013

Ask a Manager’s traffic nearly doubled this year, with 5.6 million unique visitors, 9.5 million visits, and more than 15.8 million page views. Thanks for your part in that! Here are the posts that interested people the most this year, via two lists: the most commented on posts and the most viewed posts. Interestingly, there’s no […]

Read the full article →

my favorite posts of 2013

We had more posts here in 2013 than ever before — 1,118 this year so far — so it was particularly hard to pick my favorites. But here’s a stab at it anyway. 10. Stop thinking you’re applying for your dream job Because I hear way too many people say it, and it gets old […]

Read the full article →

my boss opened a personal package that was addressed to me

This was originally published on August 19, 2010. A reader writes: My own postman is unreliable, so I often have book orders from amazon, half.com and ebay sent to me at work. The other day, my boss opened a package addressed to me and was offended. He wasn’t offended that I had something mailed to […]

Read the full article →

the worst boss of 2013 is…

We have a winner!  1,975 votes are in, and the worst boss of the year is the manager who fired a receptionist after another employee asked him to reimburse her business expenses … with 42% of the vote. Congratulations, terrible manager of the year! You suck. The four runners-up, who managed to be pretty terrible in their own […]

Read the full article →

the least popular posts of 2013

As part of our best-of lists for the end of the year, I decided to take a look at the posts that garnered the least discussion in 2013 (excluding updates, housekeeping-type posts, and posts that just linked to my articles somewhere else). (This is no reflection on the question-askers! All of these questions are actually […]

Read the full article →