5 things likely to disrupt your project plan

So you’re ready to launch a carefully scheduled project plan. You’ve planned backwards and mapped out each stage of the work and who will be responsible for what, and your project plan is a thing of beauty. What could go wrong?

Plenty, it turns out. At Intuit QuickBase’s Fast Track blog today, I talk about five of the things most likely to disrupt your project plan if you don’t factor them in from the beginning. You can read it here.

1. alison with one L*

Hi Alison, I don’t know if this is just a bug with my browser or something, but the main homepage hasn’t been updating with new articles since Friday. I’ve had to go through the October archives to find new articles. I don’t know if this is a universal problem, but I thought I’d say something. The last article on the home page is “should I use wording from the job ad in my resume or cover letter?”.

Love the blog! And the name :)

2. Artemesia*

This is great. I used to do a lot of program evaluations. The rule of thumb there is that ‘ever stakeholder not consulted and looped in on the planning and implementation of the evaluation will ignore or attack the results.’ This of course is doubly true if the results show problems with the organization or program evaluated. The good evaluation models have feedback loops built in at every stage. Nothing like being ready to collect data and discovering that the supervisors of those who need to provide data have not been consulted or authorized their ‘being interrupted’ for this purpose.

Never assume people know; being incredibly specific about identifying stakeholders and those with authority to derail the project is essential to success.