September 2018

my boss yells, and it’s scaring my coworker

This week on the Ask a Manager podcast, I talked to a guest whose boss yells — and is making things quite unpleasant. Here’s the letter: My boss can get worked up when things are not going according to plan and will often end up yelling for minutes on end. This usually happens in group […]

Read the full article →

my former employee is badmouthing me to my staff

A reader writes: To summarize the below story, I had an employee leave the company due to a bad interaction with me, and I’m not sure how to move forward with him or the rest of the remaining staff. I’m a midlevel manager and I work for a small entertainment company. I recently had an […]

Read the full article →

how to ask for more vacation time

If you’re like most Americans, you don’t get nearly enough vacation time from your employer. But what you may not realize is that you can often negotiate more vacation time for yourself – either as part of the offer negotiation process when you’re first being hired or later on after you’ve been on the job […]

Read the full article →

my coworker gives everyone the silent treatment for weeks

A reader writes: I have a coworker, Jane, who deals with conflict in strange and alienating ways. Recently, she’s been giving people the silent treatment on and off. It makes meetings tense, and she tends to keep it up for days or weeks at a time before spontaneously deciding she’s speaking to her coworkers again. […]

Read the full article →

how can I brace myself for my toxic new job?

A reader writes: After searching for over three months, I finally received a job offer. I accepted and will start in a week. While I am happy to have the offer and will take the job, I am a little wary. Since accepting the offer and letting a few friends and family members know I […]

Read the full article →