December 2019

updates: the mothering coworker, the fish microwaver, and more

It’s “where are you now?” month at Ask a Manager, and all December I’m running updates from people who had their letters here answered in the past. Here are three updates from past letter-writers. 1. Coworker sees herself as a mother figure Thank you times a million for your help! I talked to her today […]

Read the full article →

weekend free-for-all – December 7-8, 2019

This comment section is open for any non-work-related discussion you’d like to have with other readers, by popular demand. (This one is truly no work and no school.) Book recommendation of the week: Be Frank With Me, by Julia Claiborne Johnson.  Assigned to be the assistant to a legendary and reclusive author, the protagonist instead ends up serving […]

Read the full article →

update: my boss yells for employees to come to her — over and over

It’s “where are you now?” month at Ask a Manager, and all December I’m running updates from people who had their letters here answered in the past. Remember the letter-writer whose boss insisted on yelling for people to come to her, despite the disruption it caused? Here’s the update. Before taking my issue to Jane […]

Read the full article →

open thread – December 6-7, 2019

It’s the Friday open thread! The comment section on this post is open for discussion with other readers on anything work-related that you want to talk about. If you want an answer from me, emailing me is still your best bet*, but this is a chance to talk to other readers. * If you submitted […]

Read the full article →

the best office holiday party date story of all time

Earlier today, I asked people to share their funniest office holiday stories. I love this one with all my heart and hereby present it to you: When I was fresh out of college, a dude in my social circle invited me to his fancy work Christmas party. He was a teacher, so I’d kind of […]

Read the full article →

updates: the pro athlete fiancé, the allergic coworker, and more

It’s “where are you now?” month at Ask a Manager, and all December I’m running updates from people who had their letters here answered in the past. Here are four updates from past letter-writers. 1. My office is obsessed with my professional athlete fiancé I spoke with my department manager in a relaxed manner (but […]

Read the full article →

how can I stop my employees from giving me holiday gifts?

A reader writes: With the holiday season approaching, I need some advice. I agree with you that gifts in the office should only flow down (managers can give gifts to employees, but employees shouldn’t give gifts to managers because of the power dynamic). My office used to collect funds to purchase something for the owner […]

Read the full article →