May 2022

weekend open thread – May 21-22, 2022

This comment section is open for any non-work-related discussion you’d like to have with other readers, by popular demand. Here are the rules for the weekend posts. Book recommendation of the week: Sea of Tranquility, by Emily St. John Mandel. I don’t know what to say about this! There’s a writer on a book tour and a detective […]

Read the full article →

it’s your Friday good news

It’s your Friday good news! 1.  “I’ve been a reader for half a year, but I’ve never actually written in. (I did type up a longwinded question and leave it in the drafts once, though!) I certainly didn’t think that I’d be writing a letter for Friday Good News, but here we are. I work […]

Read the full article →

open thread – May 20-21, 2022

It’s the Friday open thread! The comment section on this post is open for discussion with other readers on any work-related questions that you want to talk about (that includes school). If you want an answer from me, emailing me is still your best bet*, but this is a chance to take your questions to […]

Read the full article →

where are you now? (a call for updates)

It’s mid-year updates season! If you’ve had your question answered here in the past, please email me an update and let us know how your situation turned out. Did you take the advice? Did you not take the advice? What happened? How’s your situation now? (Don’t post your updates here though; email them to me.) […]

Read the full article →

strangely dramatic responses to mundane office changes

Ever since the letter earlier this year about the office-wide meltdown over a new phone system with fewer speed dial buttons, I’ve been thinking about overly dramatic responses to relatively mundane changes at work. We’ve heard quite a few doozies over the years: • A couple years ago, I led revamping one of our workflows. […]

Read the full article →

can I ask a company to speed up their hiring process?

A reader writes: I am interviewing with several companies, two of which I really like. Company A, I interviewed twice already, and they’ve been very responsive to my emails and thank-you notes. They also reached out to me without me emailing them first and told me there’s been a delay in hiring but they will […]

Read the full article →

my employee keeps falling asleep in meetings

A reader writes: I have noticed that one employee tends to doze off at our weekly departmental meeting. I don’t believe she has any medical condition that would cause this, and I don’t see her dozing off at other times. But I’ve noticed the dozing off many times during these weekly meetings (usually held after […]

Read the full article →