how to get buy-in from your staff on tough decisions

It would be nice if your staff wholeheartedly supported every decision that you made. In reality, there may be times when managers need to make an unpopular decision – for budget reasons or strategic ones. At Intuit QuickBase’s Fast Track blog today, I talk about how to increase the chances of getting buy-in from your team when that happens. You can read it here.

1. AMG

I think this apies pretty well to cross-departmental decisions. We have to get buy-in from peer groups and run into these problems for the reasons mentioned in the article.

It’s a bit of a balancing act because when you are trying to improve dysfunctional processes and patterns, people get defensive and don’t want to change. There’s such a thing as involving people too early, but this is exactly how I think we can improve when we do get them looped in. Thanks!

2. NJ Anon

I left a job of 11 years for this exact reason. Huge changes were shoved down our throats. The morale plummeted and the board and ceo just didn’t care.

1. Not Good At These

This happened at my work place a few years ago when we got a new CEO. Major changes were implemented, often in disorganized and scattered ways, and people got very frustrated. Turnover was huge for a couple years, rumors were crazy. Things have settled down now, in part because specific people left, and some of the initiatives were abandoned so people could actually get their work done.

1. Artemesia

I have been in this situation where a new boss swept in and immediately changed a bunch of things that had been created over time to address particular issues. And of course when he abolished those policies and practices the old problems they had solved reasserted themselves — well duh. It is wise for a new boss to not assume that everything that has gone before was done for stupid reasons. Change may be needed, but one should understand why things are as they are before making that change.

It is critical to get input even when you can’t incorporate it all. If you can’t then it is critical to make clear why a particular choice must be made. My boss several times made stupid decisions over my objection but in each case, she knew it, and let me know that she had no real choice due to political pressures she had to respond to. I can live with that and can help clean up the resultant mess. “I hear you, but because of Y I have to do ABC.” can go a long way to keeping people on board.

1. NJ Anon

Agree. Same thing happened to us. Nothing we did before he (the new ceo) was right. So he would change it and problems would happen. So then he’d change it back. We would all “eye roll” and want to say “told yous so.” What a jackass. He would waste people’s time with “trying things out” only to go back to the way they were done. A huge time-waster and demoralizing. So glad I left.

3. Artemesia

An example of this sort of mindless change without getting input first was a Notre Dame coach who swept in a few years ago and as coaches like to do was going to make his mark. One of his first decisions was that these stupid gold helmets needed to have big ND decals on them — he couldn’t understand why they had these stupid plain gold helmets. Had he asked, he would have realized that it was a long and valued Notre Dame tradition that symbolized the golden dome at ND. Much push back against the ordinary just like everyone else helmets he wanted to impose — and no change.

4. Jennifer

I kind of laugh at the idea of getting a buy in at this point, honestly. We generally just get told to lump it and like it because nothing is under our control and this is what the higher-ups decided.

5. Not So NewReader

Ideas that are forced. I have been very lucky because in talking over the forced idea, people came up with ideas to ease the pain of the forced idea. Some of their ideas were quite clever.
    So just because an idea is being forced on a group does not mean it’s the end of the world. If people in the group feel they can speak and be heard, good ideas might flow. Also, keeping people informed so they can come up with ideas that might work. Uninformed people are just taking a shot in the dark and getting more frustrated.