September 2017

when the employee you recommended gets fired

A reader writes: Last fall, my firm hired an employee who I had referred for the same position that I have. This employee was just fired last week (after nine months with the firm). Apparently, the people she worked for felt she was somewhat lazy and was not keeping up with her work. Should I […]

Read the full article →

my boss is unavailable and it’s driving us all mad

A reader writes: I report to a C-suite level executive, “Bob” (where Bob’s boss is the CEO). I manage Bob’s schedule and generally coordinate our department’s projects under his direction. However, Bob is one of the most unavailable, unreachable bosses I have ever seen. He is very clearly a verbal processor (likes thinking out loud […]

Read the full article →

my office makes us cook and eat lunch together every day

A reader writes: I am a frequent long-term contractor at a very small company. There are two owners, two full-time employees, and a handful of freelancers and interns at any one time. The owners are wonderful people whom I enjoy spending time with, but they have a practice that some coworkers and I feel conflicted […]

Read the full article →

how can I get my staff to talk in meetings?

A reader writes: I’m a new manager at a small nonprofit I’ve worked at for about 2 years. My role recently expanded to include managing a small team of two full time staff and an intern, who perform duties that were unfamiliar to me before. Overall, the transition has gone well and I have good […]

Read the full article →

I’m a recent grad and feel like I’m working too much

A reader writes: I just graduated college in May, and landed a full-time job in my hometown in the perfect field for me, thanks to your help with resumes and cover letters! However, this job has turned out to be very different from what I expected — namely, there is no semblance of work-life balance, […]

Read the full article →

my interview on Marketplace about how to job search

I was on public radio’s Marketplace Weekend this weekend, talking about job searching, including: how job searching has changed in recent years computerized resume screening (it’s not what you think!) your parents’ advice to pound the pavement and show gumption if there’s anywhere where walking in to apply in person still works how to answer […]

Read the full article →