I’m spilling everyone’s secrets!

Today I’m revealing secrets!

Over at U.S. News & World Report, I wrote about hiring managers’ secrets. Find out what their deepest, darkest secrets are here.

And over at the Intuit QuickBase blog, I wrote about all the things your boss isn’t telling you (even though she should be). Check it out here.

I bring up salary first so everyone can walk away if it doesn’t work. I have a set figure without room for negotiation. I’d rather make sure it works before moving on!

I do keep resumes on file- though I don’t go through them all, those that made a great impression get a call before we post the job. I also keep them in case something comes up that I think would be a great match. Again, they have to make a great impression, but I have passed on resumes when I hear of an opening. Honestly, I am sitting here right now thinking of three candidates that I would hire if a suitable position opened, or would gladly pass on to someone else. The flip side is that I have several that I have in the “do not hire” category, and I would caution others against.

1. JT

Do you share that set figure, or keep it secret to maintain leverage while asking the candidate his/her requirement?

2. Just Me

Thanks for that article. It helps a lot to at least put things in perspective. It is hard to get a rejection and not think about all the things you did wrong when it could have very well just been a unluck of the draw. Or in an interview you think you are the one not doing well when in fact it could be the interviewer not as proficient as they should be.
    Both parites, interviewer and interviewee are responsible for their own part in the success of the process. Not that one will get the job but I look at it that if I got the call, at least my cover and resume was OK. Something I did was right.
    I am currently looking and read all this and the rest of your advice as well as other posters and really do take this to heart when I do a cover, resume and get an interview.
    Hopefully one day it will pay off !!

Keep in mind you can both have success – but there might just not be fit. I’ve got through three interviews where it was a tremendously difficult decision. “I wish we could hire them all” having been said – and had we the budget we would have. We tried to get a second one a few times but we are pretty tight on the budget.

Cool! US News often sends content to Yahoo, so sometimes it ends up on Yahoo’s home page. (And let me just say that Yahoo commenters are VERY different from AAM commenters.)

1. bob

I saw your link on the Yahoo front page also *yay* More page views!!

Yes, as much as I hate to admit it after using and loving Yahoo for 10 years, most of the commenters are pretty much bottom of the barrel, cheap shotting, uncivil idiots who like to hide behind internet anonymity.

My state is a “at will” state which I really hate. I was fired from my very 1st job that I was at for almost 5 yrs. I don’t know what I did. One of the bosses just told me to get my stuff, that it was ok to file for unemployment, they handed me a letter that stated that I was a very good worker that went above and beyond my job duties, and told me that I fired and told me to leave and not come back. What did I do to deserve that?

yes and they would not give me a answer why. I talked to the Work Force Development Center and was told that the employer can do and say anything they want since my state is a at will state. I really want to know what I did to get fired.

You probably need to let it go, unfortunately. You can’t make them tell you the reason, so the best thing you can do for yourself is to move on. You can tell future employers that you weren’t given a reason but were told that you had been an excellent worker.

4. Kedmond

I enjoyed your article about hiring managers’ secrets. I would love to see an article about getting past web-based job applications. My daughter has applied at several entry level positions online (Starbucks, Smoothie Planet, Old Navy, Nordstroms) but never heard ANYTHING back. She has no work experience, but lots of leadership experience through sports and missions work. She also has a fairly “ethnic” first name. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

5. Tony

#1: terrible generalization of hr folks. really erodes this bloggers credibility
    #2 applicants typically have a idea of the range an Arby’s manager job pays. Haggling over $500 and an extra sick day is .. well… why they work at Arby’s. Measurable salary negotiation doesnt occur for folks in salary bands who have time to read blogs.
    #3 Again, awful generalization of hr staff. Yes they want to put applicant at ease but.. assuming they are ONLY being nice to this end..? ludicrous
    #4 Totally agree and accurate . Credibility has a pulse
    #5 Agree
    #6 More generalizations. 3 strikes and you are out credibility
    #7 agreed . first sentence may actually help a few folks back off the ledge sometime
    #8 true
    #9 very true. best point of the blog
    #10 doesnt your statement “hiring managers are good at what they do” contradict points 1, 3, 6, 8 and 9.

Glad I own my own company

6. Anonymouse

Tony,

To address a few of your points…

1. She wasn’t generalizing HR folks. She was generalizing “interviewers”. HR (presumably) has training and experience at intervieiwing. Functional managers outside of HR who are intervieiwing candidates may interview candidates only rarely, and sometimes have to wing it. I’ve been the candidate in that situation more than once, and rolled with it.
    2. Two things – first, you’d be surprised at the variations in salaries in Arby’s managers. (In another life, I did the payroll for Arby’s restaurants, so I know for a fact there was a healthy variation.) Secondly, in a lot of other jobs/fields/industry, there is a lot of wiggle room. What is a state and local tax manager worth in Chicago if they have a law degree? What is a podiatrist worth in Peoria? Etc.
    3. Of course HR and hiring managers (which are different things, btw) want candidates to let their guard down. Who doesn’t want to get past the candidate’s interview persona and find out who the real person is? Someone making a hiring decision wants someone who will do the job well and fit in, not just someone who interviews well. (*There’s the human resources function, which handles all HR functions, of which hiring is only one. They often do the screening interview and bring candidates on board once they’ve accepted, but in between there are often functional managers who hire. The people that do the work that the company does as a business, and decide who they want on their team. In a small business, this may all be one person, but in larger organizations, people specialize, and people in HR may be managers, but there’s still a difference between HR and hiring manager.)