1. Jamie

The rehearsing ahead of time is great advice. Now, negotiating for myself is a weak point so I’m speaking from experience of seeing others do things well – be confident and pleasant. Some people psyche themselves up for the “no” they they come out of the gate with a defensive posture. Going in assuming the answer could well be yes, since you’re making a reasonable request.

And if it’s now, done correctly at least you can come out of it with a time line of the next discussion and a list of things which can turn the no into a yes next time.

Good timing! My supervisor recently resigned and instead of replacing her role my company is reorganizing my department. I’ll be taking on some, but not all, of her responsibilities and ownership for things like strategy, budget, planning. I’m not sure if now is a good time to negotiate a raise/new title, or if I should prove myself with the new responsibilities and wait until salary reviews, which always happen in the beginning of the year. I think they may be scared I will also bail and leave them in a lurch, and I feel like I have some power now. I did already receive a cost of living + merit raise this year. I’ve been here for over three years, always get excellent reviews and have been promoted once.

Ask for it now. This is closer to taking on a new position than it is to just taking on an extra project or two. In the latter case, I’d say wait and prove yourself, but in this case, ask now.

2. Jamie

I would at least negotiate the title now. They are restructuring so it’s the perfect time, as things are being redefined.

If you keep your same title but take on all the added work then the added work will be just considered part of your job by then.

If it were me I’d get the title now, and wait until review time to negotiate compensation. I’m not sure I’m right on this, as I tend to be cautious (and suck at negotiating for myself) but I would be more confident in lobbying for a number once I had success under my belt and it wasn’t just based on stuff in a new job description.

But I know titles don’t matter much in 99% of workplaces out there, including mine, but they are ROR and it can make a difference in how your perceived outside your organization.

3. Holly

I actually just found out that at my non-profit, raises are only for cost of living. The culture here is that if you perform above and beyond, you get to keep your job for the next year.. you don’t get any other “rewards.” Promotions are difficult to come by as well, as the roles here are very defined and the only real way to move up is for them to create something for you (which is rare) or for someone in the role you want to get fired/they leave/they retire. Hm.

you also want the company to be in solid financial straits

That’s a turn of phrase I’ve never seen before!

Understand your company’s budget cycle, not just for raises but equipment, software, furniture, etc. Know when the end of year funds or whatever will be given out and what you need to do to apply for them, who to talk to, etc. If someone leaves, their salary savings can sometimes be used to give raises.

6. Vinodh

I have been working for a laboratory plastic consumables, research equipments and chemicals distribution firm for the last 20 years and the last 10 years in the capacity of Business Manager. My boss has cut down on my 0.25% of the promised incentive structure (1% of the total sales done )without any valid reason since last year . He had cut the salary to please someone who is working under me as an ASM who is 9 yrs junior to me and has demanded to be paid the equal of my pay structure. Also my boss has not paid any yearly increments to the staff for the last 3-4 years(5 years in my case) though we have ensured a min. gorwth of atleast 10-20% ovr all sales every financial year. We feel that he is not fair with his employees . How do we talk to him and explain him our difficulties.