6 smart resolutions that will land you a job in 2015

featured-on-usnIf you’ll be searching for a job in 2015, don’t just apply the same old tired job search advice about expanding your network, improving your social media presence, and cleaning up your resume. Those things matter, of course, but they’re hardly revolutionary advice.

Instead, at U.S. News & World Report today, I offer you six new year’s resolutions to truly kick off your search off from a position of strength. You can read it here.

1. justine

Alison, That’s all great advice – thank you! I’m in a job hunt now and it’s probably because I didn’t heed the signs when I interviewed. Finding a job might be like finding a husband (don’t settle) or hair dresser (if the lady who just got out of the chair looks jacked up then don’t sit down) or groceries (don’t shop hungry). – Justine

1. Kira

I like the ‘don’t shop hungry’ part. I did that….desperate to get out of a bad job that I took the first thing offered to me and it was even worse, and then I felt like I had to stick it out for a while to not look like I play employment music chairs.

2. Ali

I need to remember No. 5. I am in a work environment right now where I’m desperate to get out of. I notice that praying I’ll hear from employers when I check my e-mail and phone hasn’t brought about a lot. But I got one call for a phone screen when I was just relaxed and never expecting to hear from the company recruiter. I unfortunately did not move to the in-person interview, but I noticed the difference for sure. Not saying it’s 100% foolproof but it is sound advice.

3. TheLazyB

Hoping these will help. I’ve just discovered that the biggest employer in the area that I want to get into is restructuring and loads of people’s jobs are at risk. And I’ve taken voluntary redundancy wef 1st April. Am slightly panicking :-/

Thanks for the tips!

1. Not So NewReader

I think it could be.
      But the more immediate thing that I noticed with helping others was that it became easier to ask others to help me. It made it feel like give and take, rather than me just taking. And it also provided opening for more conversations that I would not have had any other way.

2. azvlr

Not in the Karma sense, but I passed along a job opportunity to someone who I felt was in direct competition with me for jobs, and I know she felt the same about me. I basically had the job in the bag, but I was holding out for an opportunity that she did not have access to. She got the one job, and I got the other. A win for both of us and worth the risk in my opinion. This act (the sweet-potato pie she brought me on a day that I hadn’t eaten breakfast didn’t hurt either) helped to break the ice between us. We are now friends, and help each other with editing and bouncing ideas off each other.

I believe this left a favorable impression with the recruiter, so the next time I’m job-seeking, I will definitely reach out to this recruiter first.

4. hayling

Great advice!

Also I’d throw in “Ignore all advice from your parents and anyone else who hasn’t applied for a job in the past 20 years.”

1. JM in England

Amen to that……………………feel like I’m banging my head against a wall when I try to tell my mother (who started working in the 1950s) how the modern workplace and job hunting practices run!

5. Jake

#1 is by far the most important to me. Last time I job searched, I’d come to work on Monday and talk to a coworker looking for similar level of work as me. He’d talk about how he submitted for 30 (!) jobs over the weekend, while I had submitted for 2 or 3. I looked for 2 months, he looked for 5. We had the same position, the same experience, basically everything was the same. The difference was I took my time and made sure every company knew I wanted to work for them doing “insert position title” while he just filled out as many online applications as he could.

1. JM in England

Wish I could be as picky as you, Jake here in the UK. Was unemployed prior to landing my current role and a condition of claiming unemployment is to apply for a minimum number of jobs per week. However, I can now take my time once again in looking for my next opening………..

6. BananaPants

My husband and I need to work on #5. He lost his job 8 months ago and it’s SO hard not get our hopes up that THIS job interview will be the one that leads to an offer and the end of the misery. It’s difficult to not get emotionally invested in the job hunt when your finances are in the toilet and you’re stressed. Our family life for much of the last year would have been better if we had just mentally moved on after each interview. We have two small children and when Mom and Dad are stressed, it affects them negatively. Nothing would have changed – he still wouldn’t have a job – but as a family we wouldn’t have gone through the emotional wringer with every single interview!