are you The Annoying Guy at work?

Given how many annoyances people have with their coworkers, have you ever wondered if you might be The Annoying One in your office?

Over at the Intuit QuickBase blog today, I run down the warning signs that you might be driving your coworkers crazy. You can read it here.

1. Lindsay H.

Two other “That Guy”-types I love (read: get annoyed by):
    1. The one who perpetually shows up 1/2 late
    2. The one who feels the reason why others have a problem with her is because she’s overly awesome at what she does.

1. Kobie

Lindsay I like your suggestions and I loved reading the entire list. Everyone at work shoud read the article and identify with at least two items ☺

2. Cassie

I feel like I should make a couple of copies of this list and post it all around my office. I think I have (at least) one of every kind!

1. Jamie

There used to be a site called annoying coworker (or something similar) where people would anonymously vent about their office mates.

I never posted, but on a couple of occasions it made me feel better that other people out there were aggravated by the same things.

The other day I was wishing for some kind of anonymous confessional site where I could could come clean about some of my own obnoxious stuff at work – but was way too lazy to look for one. I know they have site for serious stuff, but I really hate drama.

1. Esra

The management in my office are guilty of just about infraction on AAM’s list of annoying traits, so that first site you mention sounds very cathartic.

2. fposte

I just found –was that it?

Interestingly, the second Google hit on “annoying coworker” was Alison. Well, not Alison herself, but her article at U.S. News.

1. Esra

Omg that site: “you smell like Satan’s ashtray.”

That site reminds me a bit of reading clientsfromhell.net. On the one hand, it’s hilarious, but on the other I’m just depressed at the sad reality.

3. Diana

I think you left out “Are you gross?” I had no idea people were so annoyed, nay horrified, by nail clipping and coming in sick.

What other things do people find gross? I can understand the reaction to teeth-flossing and lack of hand-washing, but is there more?

I’m very sensitive to eating/drinking noises – chewing, slurping, lip-smacking – you name it, I can’t stand it.

I never want to know when my coworker has anything that they should talk to their doctor about.

1. Jamie

ITA – with the one exception of allergies. If the reason someone is stuffy with runny eyes is because of hay fever, I really appreciate knowing that they aren’t contagious.

Actually, I also make an exception is the medical story is funny. I worked with a guy once who broke his leg doing laundry. He was wicked tall – maybe 6’4″ – 6’5″ and in a full leg cast and the tale of how he was disabled by laundry was hilarious.

Also, if anyone at work broke their foot on a curb and wrote a side splittingly funny blog about it I would so read that (compassion and humor can co-exist)…unfortunately I need to go on the internet for that. :)

3. Suz

I used to have a coworker who always blew her nose at the lunch table. Gross! And she didn’t wash her hands afterwards. Double gross!

1. Evan the College Student

How about blowing my nose at my own desk; would that be a problem? My colds normally last about a full week; I wouldn’t want to miss that much work when I’m fully able to do the work.

1. Jamie

Do it in the bathroom whenever possible. If you have an emergency and must blow your nose at your desk, make a showing about getting up to wash your hands immediately and don’t touch anything.

2. Dan

It’s about spreading germs and giving other people your infection.

If you’re coughing and sneezing, you shouldn’t be in the office because you’re a bio-hazzard.

If your condition is more mild, wash your hands often, and definitely before you go into a meeting room or someone else’s office.

4. ChristineH

LOL I’d probably be the Office Interrupter – when I see two or more people talking and I really need to get the attention of one of them, I’m never quite sure how to politely indicate as such, especially when it’s in an open space (as opposed to an office where I can just lightly knock on the door if open). No I don’t outright jump in, but I’m sure I look awkward nonetheless.

5. I'm trying

I really have the tendency to be the know-it-all… I can’t stand hearing people talking about something that I know is incorrect and not correcting them. The first step is admitting the problem, right? Right?

Seriously, I am aware of it and try to curb the instinct, but it is like a compulsion sometimes!

One thought: Ask yourself each time how much it matters if they get the right information. Sometimes it really will — but other times, not so much.

Ask yourself each time how much it matters if they get the right information

Better yet: ask yourself how you can best use their decision to be ignorant.

2. Emily

If you can reign the habit in to projects you’re actively involved with, you’ll become known as the awesome person who helped make this project top quality and you won’t be That Guy anymore. :)

3. fposte

Yeah, I’ve got that (tm Staples). And I think it’s easy to undersell how problematic it is to other people–most of the time it really is just disguised bragging, and I’ve found it’s easier to curb if I’m honest about that element. And the fact is it’s a considerable error to correct people unsolictedly, so I’m just making a mistake even as I’m claiming to correct one.

Plus sometime I’m wrong anyway.

This can be really difficult to curb. I spend all day curbing this compulsion (and, yes, for things that have absolutely no relevance at all, those are actually the things that I have to put the most effort into not jumping in to correct) and sometimes, especially at the end of the day, the “No, that’s wrong” instince just slips out. I’ve tried really hard to use “let me expand on that” with the correction because it hurts people’s feelings less apparently. (I personally prefer to be told I’m wrong but I’m a social idiot.) And I run thru the entire rant in my head or sit down and type an e-mail about it to an understanding friend and then I feel better and the person who is wrong can go about being wrong and not upset. I totally get what you are saying about it being a compulsion. I have to work so hard to stop myself. But it is worth it. People will think you are much nicer (even if it means you are mocking them in your head constantly) and listen to you more the few times you do step in to correct them on relevant things.

The one that was the hardest for me to not correct was I had a coworker after every single meal when he was presenting he would shout about the evils of Tryptophan and how no one would get any work done if they ever ate turkey. So not relevant. So didn’t matter. But I really had to curb my urge to correct him.

Honestly, I see a little bit of myself in some of these, but I can name every person in my office as having one of these traits! My office is only 18 people and we work in close proximity; trust me, we ALL get annoying!! It’s gotten so bad that they are actually going to remodel our open office concept and give people private spaces!

7. Scott Woode

Reading through that list, I definitely recognize different pieces of myself, but I’m certainly the worst at interrupting. I’m sorry, but I don’t have all day to listen to you “um,” “uh,” and “ah” while you try to put together a coherent thought. Call me back when you know what you want to say. Until then, please don’t waste my time.

And I think that Cruella and I should start a club for defensive perfectionists who are working on curbing half of that behavior (defensiveness, not perfectionism).

*End Rant*