how to manage your calendar so that you get more done

If you know the horrible sinking feeling of coming into work on Monday and discovering your calendar is packed full for the week, leaving you no time to work on some looming projects, or the equally terrible feeling of realizing on Friday that you have no real idea what you accomplished this week, your calendar might be both the problem and the solution.

At QuickBase’s Fast Track blog today, I run through six tricks to managing your calendar in a way that should help you regain control of your life. You can read it here.

1. LQ

I put so much on my calendar, meetings with me, appointments to do things. And it is great when people look at my calendar before they schedule things.

I also do this (especially the last one) in my personal life routinely. Sometimes at work it is my boss or boss’s boss who decides that the way they want to spend my time. But in my personal life? It has been huge to step back and reevaluate the way I spend my time and make sure it aligns with my personal values.

2. irritable vowel

So much YUP to most of this! I’ve been on a one-person crusade for years to change my workplace culture to 30-minute meetings by default…with mixed results. The only thing I would find hard to do is saying “no” to meetings – this isn’t really an option for most people unless they’re at a higher level than the person requesting the meeting. (I have zero problem saying no to meetings with salespeople, though!)

1. Marina

I think in most cases you could get buy in from your boss. For instance, “Lucinda, while I’ve got this teapot spout QA job on my desk, do you think it’d make sense for me to skip the handle design committee meetings? I’d like to set aside more time to focus on my priorities.” I mean, your boss might tell you that every single meeting you’ve been invited to is equal priority, but more likely they’ll be able to give you a better idea which ones you can get out of.