4 new year’s resolutions for managers

We’re a week into 2015 and plenty of us are Not Doing Well on our new year’s resolutions.

But it’s not too late! At Intuit QuickBase’s Fast Track blog today, I suggest four resolutions for managers that can be the workplace equivalent of vowing to hit the gym. You can read it here.

1. Ann Furthermore

To expand on #1, I would also add commit to doing regular one-on-ones with your direct reports. My boss has to cancel ours, sometimes pretty frequently. I do understand — she has to do it because there’s some emergency she has to deal with, or she’s been scheduled into meetings with directors or VP’s and she can’t back out. But I do like having that time with her so I can keep her up to date on what I’ve been working on, and anything I might need help with.

1. So Very Anonymous

Agree with this. My boss is supposed to meet with us one-on-one once a month, and I think I met with her all of four times last year. We are in a state of constant flux, reorganizations, goalpost-shifting, maybe-those-aren’t-even-goalposts etc., and it’s felt scary to have her not know what all I’m actually doing. I also don’t like having the feeling that I’m bothering/interrupting her or needing too much hand-holding if I have to go to her with questions. I’d rather have regular meetings where we could just talk about what I’m doing, especially so that I can balance out the “here’s what I need help with” stuff with “here’s what’s going really well.”

2. Sharon

I would embellish #2 by adding to listen to your team when they propose new workflow efficiencies or process improvements. I’ve had many environments where my boss was well into headless chicken territory because we worked “harder not smarter” and wouldn’t listen to suggestions to make things better.

3. Wakeen's Teapots Ltd.

You’re freaking me out, Alison. I have clearly been spending a lot of time here, you’re in my brain.

I made new years resolutions at the end of December and have been working on implementation this last week. New processes, one-on-one meetings with my next level managers, etc. all focusing on

#1, #2 and #3. (#4 we’re pretty good at.)

#2 is the big one for me.

Wow. I have never made new years resolutions before and the year I do it, it is nearly the literal list that you publish the next week.

Imagine a world filled with Mini Me Alisons.