4 costly mistakes teams make when collaborating

Is your workplace big on collaboration? Probably. (Open offices, team building, collaboration, WE WILL ALL WORK TOGETHER AND LIKE IT.)

Assuming so, your office is probably making the four costly collaboration mistakes that I talk about over at Intuit QuickBase’s Fast Track blog today — like not giving the group enough space to decide on their own course of action, not having clear roles, and more. You can read it here.

1. Nethwen

And on the human side, sadly, it needs to be explicitly stated: You do not have the right to control your subordinates’ or peers’ emotions. As long as they remain civil and professional, there should be no implied demands that “WE WILL ALL WORK TOGETHER AND LIKE IT” or that everyone feels like you are all family. Start trying to control employees’ emotions and you might be creating an environment where people are incapable of giving their best or unconsciously display behavior counterproductive to collaboration.

1. Snarkus Aurelius

This is an unfortunate trend as of late.  The idea is this: because more and more people are spending more and more time at work then relationships with coworkers and bosses should mirror those of family and friends.  This is becoming more and more true as interviewers ask irrelevant questions about hobbies, favorite movies, ideal vacation spots, happiest life experiences, pets, etc.

We’re not dating; we working together.  Let’s keep it professional.

I get that we all pound the carpet together for so many hours a day, but we’re together by chance, not by choice.  If I don’t know you outside of work, then I don’t need to know anything else about you beyond work.  Spending so many hours of the day with me doesn’t entitle you to anything.

Quite frankly, it’s the people that bring that personal nonsense to work and treat everyone like a therapist that cause so much damage and lost time.

If you’re looking for friends, do not do it in the workplace.

2. C Average

ALL OF THE YESES TO ALL OF THIS.

Ahem. Excuse my outdoor voice, but you’ve managed to concisely articulate almost everything I’ve hated about almost every collaborative project I’ve ever been assigned, and I want to share this article with everyone on earth.

3. AnonEMoose

One thing that makes me stabby is when one or two people miss a meeting, and then insist on re-discussing everything that was discussed or decided in the meeting they missed. If your input is that important, then make an effort to attend the meeting the first time.